THE internet is full of so-called “life hacks” — tips and tricks to supposedly make your life easier.

But in the modern age of fake news, it’s hard to know what to believe.

Now the experts have put a range of hacks to the test and The Daily Telegraph can reveal the most popular tips that actually do work — and some that should be avoided.

Cleaning experts at the UK’s Good Housekeeping Institute looked at nine of the most seemingly wacky online suggestions and found five that surprisingly stacked up in testing.

They included putting lemonade in a vase with cut flowers, which Elizabeth McDonald of Marrickville said her grandmother used to do something similar.

“I keep fresh cut flowers in the house when I can, usually lillies,” the restaurant manager said.

“I’ve never tried using lemonade before but it makes sense, I remember my nan would put a bit of caster sugar into her flowers when I was a kid.”

WHAT WORKS

Shaving foam stops bathroom mirrors steaming up

Spray the foam on a clean cloth and wipe on the mirror until it is streak-free. The next time you shower it will stay clear except for a fine, clear film of condensation which will not distort your reflection.

Vinegar neutralises cigarette smells

Put two tablespoons of malt vinegar in a dish and leave overnight in a smoky room with the door shut. The vinegar — an acid — helps to neutralise some of the smoke smells, which are alkali.

Lemonade prolongs the life of flowers

Adding a couple of glugs of lemonade is the best for long-lasting blooms. The drink may have antibacterial qualities, while its sugar may feed the plant.

Hairspray removes permanent ink from hard surfaces

Spraying it on an ink stain makes it fizz and dissolve so it can be blotted up. It also removes biro and red wine stains from cotton, if it’s then washed. It may be alcohol in hairspray dissolving the ink.

Rubbing fabric conditioner on tights stops static

Rub it on your hands, then run them up and down your tights while wearing them. Fabric conditioner gives the tights a positive charge which neutralises the negative charge of static electricity.

WHAT DOESN’T

Removing beetroot stains with salt

Salt will in fact set the stain so avoid at all costs. Instead, rinse with cold water and wash as soon as possible.

Vinegar on chopping board stops crying when cutting onions

Researchers wanted this to work but still cried when trying it out. They suggest wearing swimming goggles.

Use the inside of a banana peel to shine leather

Banana skins are extremely messy, leave greasy marks and simply don’t work.

Dry tea bags deodorise smelly shoes

Don’t bother.