IAN Brady sent a taunting letter to the brother of Moors Murder victim Keith Bennett - promising to lead him to the child's remains in his will.

The letter filled his family with hope that they would lay him to rest - but Brady never sent any further clues.

It was sent in 1991 to Keith's brother Alan, and says: "I again advise you to stop searching until matters are resolved.

"My will contains special instructions for you alone. My time is almost over. Sincerely, Ian Brady."

Alan, 62, told the Manchester Evening News: "It would be another 26 years after he sent that letter before he died. At the time we were hopeful that it might lead to Keith.

"I wrote to him several times and at one point asked if he would correspond with John Stalker (former assistant chief constable) after he left GMP, so that information could be passed that way.

My will contains special instructions for you alone. My time is almost over. Sincerely, Ian Brady.

"But Brady would change the subject, and nothing came of it."

Monster Brady asked for two locked suitcases to be put into secure storage just hours before he died aged 79 at Ashworth Hospital in Merseyside.

Police wanting to open the bags in case they hold any clues over where 12-year-old Keith is buried have now been refused a search warrant.

The schoolboy was snatched on his way to his grandmother’s house on June 16, 1964, and driven to Saddleworth Moor by Brady and accomplice Myra Hindley before being murdered.

His body has never been found and both twisted Hindley and Brady took the secret of where he was buried to the grave.

And Alan says there is a "desperate" need to examine the paperwork after Greater Manchester Police were refused access by a district judge.