It was just a regular Sunday evening.

I was feeling a bit down because this guy I really liked hadn’t messaged me to catch up that weekend. I had sent him a few messages earlier in the week and said he would get back to me about a drink on the weekend but after radio silence over the past few days – not even a drunk, late night ‘u up?’ message – I was starting to think he just wasn’t that into me.

But instead of wallowing in self pity I decided to indulge in some self-care Sunday.

I had a long bath with a face mask and washed my hair. After that I put on my fluffy bathrobe, turned on Netflix and ordered Uber Eats from my favourite place, this poke bar in Bondi that’s super hipster and trendy. While I waited for it to arrive I went to light a scented candle, which I thought would be the best companion to the rom com I was about to settle down and watch.

The only problem was I couldn’t find the matches I swore I had left next to the candle. I checked the coffee table, under the couch, even the back of the kitchen cupboard but couldn’t find anything incendiary. I was contemplating how to light the candle with the stove when the doorbell rang. My Uber Eats delivery had arrived.

I pulled my bathrobe closed and opened the door to find the most perfect man standing there. He was tall, dark, tanned and handsome … Just like something from the rom com I was about to sit down and watch. He was wearing a leather motorcycle jacket, ripped jeans and held his motorcycle helmet under his toned arm. He was delicious.

As he handed me the Uber Eats bag I remembered the candle in my hand. Surely this tall, dark motorcycle riding bad boy with just the perfect amount of stubble was a smoker.

I asked him if he had a lighter.

“Yes, I think so” he replied, in a gorgeous, thick Spanish accent. He started to pat down the pockets of his jeans and jacket, trying to find where he had put his lighter, and as he did so muttered under his breath donde, which is Spanish for where. My knees went weak. Ever since my summer abroad in Spain I couldn’t resist a Spanish-speaking man, let alone one that looked as gorgeous as this.

I thought I could have some fun with this, so I said “Oh, hablas español?” (“Do you speak Spanish?”)

He smiled and replied “Si, I am from Zaragoza. You speak Spanish very well”.

I shook my head. “No, I really should practice more,” I said as my hair – still wet from my bath – dripped onto my shoulders.

He laughed. “I really should practice my English more,” he replied and finally held out his lighter and lit my candle.

I smiled and took the candle back as he turned and walked away. When I closed my front door I noticed I was grinning from ear to ear, like a ridiculous little school girl who had finally spoken to the school heartthrob. He was so. Goddamn. Hot!

I had barely put the candle on the coffee table and sat down to begin eating my poke when the doorbell rang again. ‘That’s strange,’ I thought. I wasn’t expecting anyone else that late on a Sunday night.

I opened the door and saw him – the gorgeous Spanish guy – standing there running his hands through his messy brown hair.

“Do you want to practice your Spanish?” he said.

“What? Right now?” I replied as he bit his lower lip.

“Si, right now,” he said. And he winked at me.

My heart skipped a beat. There was a gorgeous Spanish heartthrob standing on my doorstep, tracing the lines of my bathrobe with his deep brown eyes and biting his lip. The delicious scent of the candle wafted past and I remembered that it was self-care Sunday after all, so I smiled and replied “Si, ok”.

As he walked inside he took off his jacket and put his helmet down, following me down the hallway. He asked me what my name was and what type of candle it was. I barely had time to answer before he drew back my wet hair from my face and began kissing me while whispering to me in Spanish.

It was the best Spanish lesson I’ve ever had. The touch of his stubble on my skin, rough yet soft, and the sensual way he let me set the pace made sure I remembered every single second of it, even though to be honest it felt like a whirlwind.

Afterwards, he pulled me in close, kissed me, and whispered “Gracias princesa” in my ear before he got back up and began to put his clothes on. I noticed that his lighter had fallen out of his pocket so I leant over and picked it up. As I returned it he winked with those deep brown eyes and smiled at me.

Putting on his jacket, he said he needed to get back to work but if I ever wanted to practice my Spanish again I should let him know. He wrote his phone number on a piece of paper and left it next to the candle, kissing me again before he turned to leave.

“Make sure you give me a good rating on the app!” he added, in Spanish, just before he closed the door.

I laughed, congratulating myself for having the best self-care Sunday ever. And of course, I rated him well. I gave him five stars.