THE brutal Russian husband who chopped off his wife’s hands has been declared mentally sane and fit to stand trial.

Dmitry Grachyov now faces up to ten years in jail if convicted.

The 27-year-old feared his wife Margarita was cheating on him and wanted revenge, a court heard.

In December last year, he forced the 26-year-old into his car and drove her to a forest where he tied her up, forced her to kneel and then severed her wrists with an axe.

Since then the mother-of-two has been hailed as an “inspiration" in Russia after seeking to overcome her husband’s appalling medieval torture.

Her left hand was sewn back on by surgeons, and she now has a “robot” right arm which she is learning to use.

Margarita today expressed relief after five hearings a court finally deprived Grachyov of his parental rights.

He will never see his two young children again or play any role in their upbringing.

Prosecutors also announced that he is to be charged with threatening his wife with murder, as well as kidnapping her, and causing her serious harm.

The move follows psychiatric tests which found he was fit to stand trial.

In the closed-session court in Serpukhov he told the judge from an iron cage that he was a “loving father”.

But he claimed that for a month before he dismembered his wife he was “unable to think of anything else than the fact that she was unfaithful”.

He earlier confessed to chopping off her hands.

She was not in court but previously denied cheating on him, while admitting she was seeking a divorce.

Olga Rusiyan, Margarita’s lawyer, said her client was “happy” that Grachyov had been deprived of his parental rights.

Margarita has revealed how her husband was “totally calm” when he axed her hands.

She said: “Unfortunately, I felt all the pain very much. I was dreaming that I would faint.

“I kept thinking all the time, why am I not fainting?

“When he raised his axe, I just closed my eyes, I didn’t look at it…(when my hands were chopped off)."

She said her sons were “proud” of her bionic arm.

Margarita said they tell her “Mum you are like a robot”.

She added: “People on streets often turn their heads.

“Sometimes they come to wish me well.

“Recently a man came and said: ‘Please can I shake your hand, you are an incredibly strong woman.’”

The mum said she is still learning how to live with her new hand.

She said: “My prosthetic hand is too fragile.

“I still struggle with buttons and laces, but I had a tremendous victory over a zip.

“I am learning to write with a pen.

“It’s hard as pens are too thin to hold, so they keep sliding out. But I am stubborn, I’ll keep trying.

“I want to be back to normal life and do something good and useful as soon as possible.”

She still faces new surgery on her left hand which she cannot use properly.

She thanked people from all over Russia who raised money to help her.

She said: "I want to say thank you, again and again to them all.

“If I didn’t have this money my life would have been completely different. “