ABOUT 250 people gathered at Colonnades Shopping Centre on Thursday evening to pay their respects to a woman who was allegedly bashed to death a week ago.

Those who attended the vigil lit candles in honour of the mother-of-two while condemning violence against women.

A 36-year-old Ethelton woman was found with severe head injuries near BankSA at the shopping centre just before 12.15am on Thursday, October 25.

Despite efforts by paramedics, she was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 20-year-old man, of no fixed address, was arrested nearby and charged with murder.

Police believe the attack was random and have ruled out robbery as a motive.

The crowd at the vigil comprised those who knew the victim as well as strangers.

A family friend of the woman, who did not wish to be named, said the event aimed to highlight and condemn violence.

“Today is about her and all people affected by violence — males, females and children, that’s what it’s for and to give our love,” she said.

The friend said people should “think first before hitting”.

Kerry Williams, of Huntfield Heights, attended the service with her children.

“I came here because I’m a nurse and I’ve been brought up with domestic violence (and) I just think it’s so sad,” she said.

“I brought my kids down to be aware of what goes on and to be careful.”

Jenny Lewis, 71, of Noarlunga, said people prone to violence “need to get help if they fly off the handle”.

Bernard Deplanche, 53, of Morphett Vale, said those who were violent towards others were “weak and pathetic”.

“What he did was inhumane and there should be no tolerance in society for that,” he said.

Mr Deplanche said the State Government should reintroduce capital punishment to deter violence.

The woman’s alleged murderer has been remanded in custody and will next appear in court in March next year.

The identities of both the suspected killer and the victim have been suppressed by the court.