Thomas Cook is removing all its customers from a hotel in Egypt after the death of a British couple.

John Cooper, 69, and his wife Susan, 63, from Burnley, died while staying at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic in the Red Sea resort of Hurghada.

Egyptian authorities said Mr Cooper was taken ill with heart problems, but the couple's daughter said the cause of their deaths was unclear.

Kelly Ormerod said her parents had been "fit and healthy".

'Died in front of me'

Mrs Ormerod, who was also at the hotel with her three children, said in a statement to a radio station: "They had no health problems at all. We have no cause of death, a post-mortem is under way.

"Dad never went to hospital, he died in the hotel room in front of me. I went to hospital in the ambulance with Mum, where she passed away."

Mrs Ormerod praised the support from Thomas Cook, which said it had received "further reports of a raised level of illness among guests".

In a statement, Thomas Cook said 301 holidaymakers will have options for alternative hotels from Friday onwards and those wishing to go home will be flown back on Friday.

It added: "Safety is always our first priority, so as a precautionary measure we have taken a decision to remove all our customers from this hotel.

"While we understand this is upsetting for those on holiday, we believe this is the right thing to do."