A DEATH row inmate began muttering that he could “feel it” as lethal doses of a drug began flowing through his veins.

Troy Clark, 51, was executed last night by lethal injection at the state's death chamber in Huntsville, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice said.

During the trial he taunted jurors who found him guilty to sentence him to death is facing execution for the 1998 torturing and drowning 20-year-old flat mate Christina Muse in his bathtub.

He then stuffed her body into a barrel.

At 6.15pm he was injected with a lethal dose of the drug pentobarbital and he was pronounced dead at 6.36pm.

When asked for any final words, Clark - who has always maintained his innocence - insisted the wrong guy was being executed.

Clark said: "Thank you, I love you all. Sandra, nice meeting you. I love y'all. It's all good.

“I'm not the one that killed Christina, so whatever makes y'all happy. I love y'all.

“I'll see you on the other side. Y'all be good. OK Warden, I'm ready."

Authorities say Clark, a drug dealer, had worried his ex-roommate would snitch on him.

He has argued his trial attorneys failed to present evidence of his troubled childhood, which might have convinced jurors to spare his life.

The Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles declined to recommend a commutation of Clark's sentence.

He would become the ninth prisoner put to death this year in Texas, the nation's busiest capital punishment state.

It had planned to execute Daniel Acker, 46, today who was convicted of kidnapping and murdering a woman in 2000 - but he also claims he is completely innocent.

Acker insisted he didn't fatally run over his girlfriend in a jealous rage more than 18 years ago.

He was condemned for the March 2000 slaying of Marquetta George of Sulphur Springs.

Prosecutors said he ran over George with his truck in rural northeast Texas because he believed she had been unfaithful to him.

Acker's attorneys have asked the US Supreme Court to stay his execution, arguing he is innocent of capital murder because his 32-year-old girlfriend's fatal injuries were due to her decision to jump from his truck after he abducted her.

A similar appeal was rejected earlier this month by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals.

Acker would become the 18th convicted killer put to death this year in the US.