HE is one of the bravest men in Britain, and almost died fighting terrorists with his bare hands during the London Bridge attack last year.

But when hero police officer Charlie Guenigault stepped forward to receive his George Medal from the Queen this week, he was scared — that she would get his name wrong.

PC Charlie Guenigault shows his George Medal for bravery – and a proud smile

In an exclusive interview, the cop with the cheeky sense of humour and the French Huguenot name told The Sun on Sunday: “Everyone gets it wrong, so I was worried she was going to do the same.

“People say ‘Gweni-gault’ and it’s actually pronounced ‘Gini-gault’.

“They got it right! They said it perfectly. But I felt very shy meeting the Queen.

“I kept thinking, ‘Just pretend you’re speaking to your nan’.

The Queen pins the George Medal on Charlie’s chest

“It was a huge honour and I still can’t believe this has happened to me. I just feel lucky to be alive.”

In his most revealing interview to date, the PC also opens up about returning to work for the Metropolitan Police after a lengthy battle with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) brought on by the horrific attack on June 3 last year, which left him with five stab wounds.

Charlie says he is now close friends with one of the other London Bridge heroes — British Transport police officer Wayne Marques, 38, who took on the jihadis with just his baton and was also stabbed multiple times.

And he reveals that amid a series of hospitalisations during his battle back to health, he has managed to run a marathon and party at Glastonbury.

Another wonderful moment for Charlie as he shows off his Pride of Britain award

But returning to work on Monday last week counts as one of his proudest achievements.

Charlie, 26, said: “From the moment I was stabbed I was determined that I wasn’t going out that way.

“Being a police officer is a huge part of who I am and the Met is like a second family.

“I started in my new position training recruits last week and being back shows that despite everything that happened, the terrorists have not beaten me.

“I actually feel stronger in some ways. I am more confident and I want to make the most of every day.

“Above all, I want to give something back and help other people. That’s why it is so important that I get to do the job I love.”

Charlie with fellow officer and good friend Wayne Marquis, who was also badly wounded in the attack

Charlie was off-duty and had been out drinking with friends when he spotted three knife-wielding terrorists stabbing innocent bystanders.

Putting his own safety aside, he ran at the attackers, putting himself between them and other police officers being attacked — then began fighting them off with his bare hands.

Eight people were killed and 48 were injured before Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, Rachid Redouane, 30, and Youssef Zaghba, 23, were shot dead at the end of last year’s atrocity.

But more would have died had Charlie and Wayne not intervened.

Charlie was stabbed five times and was lying in a pool of blood when he was found by London couple Justin Jones and Ellen Gauntlett, both 24, who had also been enjoying a night out.

We previously reported how, in a bid to keep Charlie conscious as they tried to stem his bleeding, they asked what his favourite song was — and the joker replied “Stayin’ Alive”.

Police and emergency services on the scene of the terrorist atrocity

Charlie, who was just two minutes from death when he reached hospital, said: “I can still remember every single minute of what happened on that night but I can’t really talk about it because the inquest is still ongoing.

“What I can say is that you never know how you are going to react in a situation like that.

“I don’t believe you can think it through, you just act on instinct.

“For me, there was no way I was going to let innocent people be killed. I don’t regret anything I did.

Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane – two of the three terrorists who were shot dead at the scene by police

“But if I was in the same situation again I would not try to take on the terrorists — because I know now how close I was to not making it.

“Wayne also put his life on the line and he and I have become good friends in the past year.

“We speak and text all the time.”

Charlie was put into an induced coma as doctors attempted to repair the numerous holes the 12in blades had punctured in his internal organs including his stomach and lungs.

Members of the emergency services attend to one of the attack victims

He said: “My first thought when I came round was, ‘I’m alive. I made it’. The doctors told me they had to remove my spleen and I remember thinking, ‘I’ve no idea what that is, so it can’t be that important’.”

Just days after being discharged, Charlie attended last year’s Glastonbury Festival, which led to a lung infection.

He was rushed back to hospital and stayed for weeks before being allowed to return home to his flat in Bexley, Kent.

Then, six months ago, he was diagnosed with PTSD.

Charlie says he is now completely ready to offer his experience to new police recruits

Charlie said: “I tried to return to work in April and on my first day I realised I had come back too soon.

“The Met had given me an office job, so it was not like I was back on duty in uniform. But it still felt overwhelming.

“I had to say I was not ready for it. It was tough afterwards, as I was disappointed in myself.

“There were days when it was a struggle to get out of bed. I didn’t have nightmares or flashbacks but I definitely wasn’t myself.

“It took a while to accept everything that happened and be ready to move on.

“But the support I got from the Met was amazing.

“That’s why it’s been so important to me to repay that faith and get back to work.

“I only wish civilians who survive terror attacks got the same level of help.

Brave PCs Leon McLeod, left, Charlie Guenigault and Wayne Marquis, show off their respective bravery medals

“You get more compensation if you are in a car crash than if you are involved in a terrorist atrocity.”

Incredibly, in May Charlie was able to raise money for the staff that saved him at King’s College Hospital by competing in the London Marathon — and he has already signed up for the next one.

The George Medal he received on Thursday alongside Wayne — who himself returned to work in August — came after a Sun on Sunday campaign to have them honoured.

The gong is the highest medal that can be handed to civilians after the George Cross. Thousands signed our petition calling for the officers to be recognised.

Charlie said: “I feel so proud and I would like to thank your readers for their support. I want to make every moment count now.

A lot has changed for Charlie since his days as a beat officer before the attack

“It feels strange that all this has happened and I’m writing a book about what I’ve been through.

“I know I was one of the lucky ones. There are people involved in the attack who will never see their loved ones again.”