A GRIEVING mum has shared a photo of her last kiss with her "perfect" son just moments after he passed away in hospital.

It was the most tender of goodbyes for Kyrstyn Johnson who was told just hours ago that Mayson Michael had taken a nap and would not wake up.

She kissed and cuddled the precious little boy who had brought her so much joy in the brief eight months they had together.

Mayson, who looks pale in the heartbreaking photo, died from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, also known as cot death.

Krystyn, 21, said: "From the moment he came into this world, Mayson was a bright light with the biggest smile on his face all the time.

"I saw a bright future for him. Tee-ball practice, birthday parties, learning how to ride a bike, going to prom, falling in love.

Mayson had never had any health difficulties but on April 16, his mum got the call which "broke her in a way she never thought possible".

Her mother told her Mayson's dad Trevian, 23, has tried to wake Mayson up but "he was unresponsive, he was not breathing".

Krystyn rushed home to find police and ambulances outside and her son lying motionless in his bed in Idaho, the Mirror reported.

She said: "Just like that, every part of my soul and the person I was completely shattered; and I felt every part break piece by piece.

"I begged God to take me instead, to wake me up from this nightmare, for it to all be in my head, but my little man was gone."

Krystyn was left broken by her son's death and at one point needed medication just to get out of bed.

But she knew she had to get healthy for her twin daughters, born two years before Mayson.

She marked August 22 - what would have been Mayson's birthday - by releasing touching images of her with her little girls.

The bereaved mum hopes her awful experience can educate others and raise awareness of infant and pregnancy loss.

She said: "We will always celebrate his birthday and his life. His name and smile will never be forgotten, and that’s in my control."