THERE’S something that has always bothered me. You’d only encounter it occasionally, but now it has become an epidemic...

I’m referring to the explosion of glitter.

At first, my dislike of glitter just stemmed from how much of a nuisance it is. It gets everywhere.

You wouldn’t like it if someone walked into your house and shook a bag of flour or talcum powder everywhere would you? Glitter is worse than that to me.

It used to be just in cards (from people with whom you’d immediately cut off all ties).

Open the card and you’d get a little waterfall of this tiny shiny stuff that would go everywhere. You’d find bits of it for months.

“It’s only a bit of fun, Jim, don’t be such a grinch!”

This is what I’m told when I realise I’ve opened something with glitter on it.

I’m not being a party pooper, though. This stuff isn’t good for you.

First of all, most glitter is a ‘microplastic’ — little tiny pieces of non-recyclable plastic. The oceans are getting destroyed by such microplastics. David Attenborough wouldn’t approve, and who wants to upset that living legend?

It can be inhaled and digested and get in your eyes. The list goes on and on, and the more I hear about the downside of this muck, the more I realise how pointless it is.

A woman in Swansea almost lost her eyesight last year when a bit from her Christmas card worked its way into her eyeball.

Happy Christmas — who’s the grinch now?

Many cosmetic products containing glitter have been banned and there are calls to ban the stuff completely.

My daughter got a lovely princess dress for Christmas this year. She looked fantastic.

Then we realised it was completely doused in glitter.

There was glitter EVERYWHERE in the house and still is.

The dress has been quarantined to see if we can salvage it but it might just disappear. What’s more magical than a princess dress that disappears anyway?

The good news if you’re a six-year-old girl is that there are 100 per cent plastic-free glitters available but I’m willing to bet they’re expensive and difficult to find.

FOR those of you out there wondering what day it is . . . today is Friday.

I know it’s written at the top of the page but I thought I’d check for you anyway.

There are very few occasions in the year that you have the chance to lose track of time like you did during your childhood.

One of them is your summer holidays — but even then you have to keep an eye on return flights so you’re never too far from knowing what day it is.

This weird in-between period after Christmas and before New Year’s Day is the proper twilight zone and I love it.

The past few days were the only time this year that I didn’t have to do something.

The great Stephen Fry once said: “Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive.”

It’s so true that the build-up to Christmas Day is better than the day itself. The 25th can be a little hectic.

Juggling roast potatoes and cooking times while simultaneously opening toys that are wired into their boxes can keep you busy.

Once the madness is over comes the chill-out magic.

These few days before we kick back into normality are my favourite.

So enjoy it, this is the best bit!

MY son is seven and I think he has a great sense of humour.

I often like to show him classics to see if he gets them. While flicking through the channels the other night, I found Morecambe and Wise’s famous sketch with Andre Previn and Grieg’s Piano Concerto.

This one goes way back to 1971, but is on every Christmas, and is regarded as one of their finest moments.

What makes it for me are the reactions on the faces of the orchestra in the background — most are in bits laughing.

It was interesting to see my son Bowie wasn’t interested and was complaining it was boring until Eric Morecambe, came on. When it got to the musical part of the sketch he burst out laughing and continued for the rest of it.

I think it’s incredible to see a young boy laugh at something so old.

He had no idea who they were, but ended up loving it without any encouragement from me.

ONE of the highlights of festive TV was The Young Offenders Christmas Special.

Alex Murphy, who plays Conor, and Chris Walley (Jock) were guests in our studio recently and we were surprised to hear they haven’t been friends for life.

Spending some time with them in the flesh, you wouldn’t think they had only met each other at the auditions for the popular show.

They’re like a seasoned double act in person. Both were very relaxed about their new-found fame and unfazed by the buzz around the show.

The Young Offenders is a rare thing — an Irish comedy drama that’s actually funny.

They can so easily miss the mark, but this one is brilliant.

The wonderful Hilary Rose, who plays Conor’s ma, is often overlooked, as the whole cast is so strong. She really is fantastic, I think.

Watch them all soar in the next few years.