Ghanaian boxing champion Isaac Dogboe has told the BBC that he used to be homeless, forced to secretly sleep on his gym floor.

A switch to the professional game left him chasing opportunities around the globe, so much so that he and his father - who has trained him from the age of 14 - were left on the brink in California in 2016 while his mother was back in the UK.

People didn't know we had nowhere to sleep for about three months.

We had managerial problems and people took everything at once - the car, the house we were in, it all had to be given away. But we continued training. My dad said, 'Don't phone your mum and tell her the problems we are going through.'

After training we would dress up and hang out around the gym. We'd put our bags down when people had gone and sleep or wait for the next session.

It's hard to believe it as there are always smiles on our faces but when you go deep down, a lot has been sacrificed. Today when I see my father he reminds me that this is it, anything in our path we are clearing it."

He has come a long way - as he is now the current World Boxing Organization super bantamweight champion.