THIS is the heartbreaking moment suitcase-carrying Geoffrey the Giraffe leaves Toys 'R Us for the last time.

Donning a holiday shirt, straw hat and sunnies, the mascot was pictured waving goodbye - having become an iconic figure for kids for more than 70 years.

The goodbye comes as Toys R Us closes its doors for the last time.

The former high street favourite entered administration in February, with UK stores closing in April.

But it was just this week that Geoffrey the Giraffe signed off.

Many customers have been left broken-hearted by the image of Geoffrey, saying: "I'll always be a kid I'll never grow up" in reference to the chain's theme song.

One customer wrote: "I’m sad this is the last day we gonna have @toysrus forever just breaking my heart to see them go and Geoffrey go thanks for all the memories and helping me out."

Another added: "Goodbye Toys R Us, I'll always be a kid I'll never grow up."

But it's not all bad news, with a 16ft tall statue of Geoffrey moved to a permanent home at the Bristol-Meyers Squib Children's Hospital in New Brunswick.

As the chain closed up, Simon Thomas, joint administrator and partner at the retailer's administrators, Moorfields, said: "We are grateful for the hard work of everybody at Toys R Us during this extremely difficult and challenging time.

jackpot
"We are working closely with the 2,000 employees affected by the closures to ensure they receive the support they need for redundancy and other compensatory payments."

The company had hoped to have staved-off the threat of administration after reaching a deal with UK's pension lifeboat to plug a £9million blackhole.

But even closing 25 of 106 stores across the country wasn't enough to prevent the chain from going to the wall.