A PENSIONER killed himself by walking into the sea after he was racked with guilt over a police letter threatening him with a dangerous driving conviction.

Keen gardener David Staddon, 82, was found dead on a beach at Hythe, Kent after his body was washed ashore.

He had left a heartrending note to his daughter, writing: "Please, please forgive me for the actions I have taken.”

Mr Staddon volunteered as a gardener at a local historical railway station.

He had received a letter on 7 September 2017 saying he was being investigated for driving offences.

The letter, which caused him "considerable stress", arrived just after the anniversary of his wife Marlene's tragic death in August 2016.

Mr Staddon's daughter Sharon told an inquest in Maidstone yesterday that her father asked her not to tell anyone about the police letter — "because he was ashamed", Kent Live reported.

Her statement added: "He told me about his funeral and what music he wanted to be played.

“I thought this was because of it being near the anniversary of mum passing. I did not have any indication he wanted to end his life."

The Coroner was told how the evening before his death Mr Staddon went to bed as normal at 10pm and woke early the next morning as normal.

Sharon checked his bedroom at 8:25am and he had already left the house — but placed emotional notes made out to Sharon, her brother and her nephew on his bed.

Her statement added: "He apologised for his actions and told me what I needed to do after his death.”

Mr Staddon's body was found washed up on the beach on the morning of September 20 last year by a cleaner who performed CPR.

Paramedics rushed to the scene and battled to revive him but he was pronounced dead at the scene at 7:14am.

Recording a verdict of suicide, assistant coroner Katrina Hepburn said: "He received a letter in September and was being considered for dangerous driving. This letter did cause him considerable stress, such that he went to solicitors.

“It is likely to be something that triggered his intention to go into the water.

“Sharon Roper was told not to tell anyone about the letter.

"He said he felt embarrassed and could not remember the incident."

Kent Police declined to comment.