A FURIOUS driver has told how six-inch speed bumps have “destroyed” his car – and left him unable to make a living.

Christopher Fitzgibbon says his Volkswagen Passat has been “pulled apart from beneath”, his suspension has been shattered and he can’t survive in the motor trade business as a result.

The 23-year-old, who buys and sells cars, says the monster ramps have been in place near his home in Galbally, Co Limerick, for six weeks.

And the concerned motorist said it’s just a matter of time before they cause a major accident.

Christopher told the Irish Sun: “There have been extremely high bumps in place in nearby villages for over a year now, but the ones placed in Galbally in the last six weeks have destroyed the car.

“I work in the motor trade industry and if I take any of these cars out they immediately lose their resale value because of the damage that would be caused.

“I’ve an NCT due on a car in two weeks, and if I bring it down it’ll pass, but within a week of driving over this it would be unsafe to drive, so I couldn’t sell it knowing that.

“It’s crazy, my Passat is modified so it’s four and a quarter inches off the ground, but there are plenty of standard cars that are less than six inches in height off the ground.

“It’s not fair that there are sections of Irish road that they can’t get past. Even if my car is modified, it is road legal by Irish law, but these ramps make it impossible to get past.”

Christopher says he has had to drive on the footpath in a bid to go about his daily life, just one of the things that makes the ramps “utterly dangerous” for other road users and pedestrians.

He told how vehicles have nearly smashed through the back of his car as they came down behind him after he became stuck in the road.

He explained: “If I’m travelling down the road and become stuck all of a sudden, cars behind me don’t see brake lights, I just stop all of a sudden.

“You can see skid marks the length of the road from people trying to stop in time. Vehicles towing a trailer are even more unsafe, and we could easily see trailers being unhinged and going straight for oncoming traffic.

“I have been on to gardai, to the council, to the media, but have heard nothing in terms of plans to remove them.”

According to the Road Traffic (Bollards and Ramps) Regulations, speed bumps “should have a maximum height at the centre above the road surface of ten centimetres” — which translates to just under 4in.

Limerick County Council did not reply to our request for a comment on the bumps.