A FRUGAL mum who vowed to go a whole year without buying anything new for her and her children has succeeded - for the second year in a row.

Thrifty Katie Musgrave, 34, from Loddiswell, Devon, made the pledge on December 1, 2016, after becoming sick of the amount of barely-used equipment, clothing and toys that were being stored in her home.

She banned herself from purchasing anything new for herself or her three kids Eliza, five, and Ariadne, three, and Daniel, 11 months - apart from food, nappies and essentials.

In 2017, Katie managed to survive the whole year by buying every item “preloved” - except for buying her daughters a pair of shoes in summer - and this year she's done even better.

The devoted mum said she managed to go the whole year without buying anything except for a school uniform for her daughter, Ariadne.

The devoted mum has even had a frugal festive period, and has gifted family and friends with homemade food hampers.

Although she admits she did splurge on one item - a pair of socks for her mother-in-law, Elizabeth Musgrave, 56, which cost £6.

Katie, a GP registrar, said: "We've had another year of not buying anything new for the children.

"This Christmas we've been making presents which we will give to family members and friends.

"The children have been making gifts and things for their bedrooms; things don't have to cost a lot to have meaning.

"For Christmas I bought both daughters a puzzle, and one of them got a microscope and the other has a spirograph.

"They've also got clothes and shoes, all preloved. My newborn has got a push walker - a little dog with a jumper on."

Katie, who welcomed her third child this year with GP husband Chris, 37, managed the whole year with only one blip.

She bought a new school uniform for her youngest daughter, who started education this year.

"We've mostly stuck to nothing new, my daughter started school so we had to buy a uniform,” she explained.

"I'd say we've spent maybe £50 in the whole year, I'm sure I have saved at least £1,000 over the course of the year.

"We've still bought food and everyday essentials, but we use charity shops mostly.

"It's a habit that we've gotten into, you can find pretty much anything in charity shops or on eBay, you don't need to buy things new.

"The children are always excited when I come home, I bought my daughter a jumper with alpacas on it and she loves it.

"It doesn't have to cost much for it to matter to them."

Katie said that with just a little effort they were able to live a life better than when they were more frivolously spending money.

When it came to Christmas day they planned a traditionally festive meal with the family.

"We've put together a hamper of food and we've got my mother-in-law a pair of socks,” Katie said.

"They were a certain kind so I bought them brand new, they were £6."

Katie changed her lifestyle and became compelled to act after she was shocked at how expensive it was raising small children.

She realised that her kids were getting through clothes at a lightning pace, and that her garage and attic were quickly filling with discarded items that had barely being worn.

It dawned on Katie that other mothers were likely experiencing the same thing, and that there must be a treasure trove of barely-worn children's clothes out there.

Katie launched her web project called One Baby Owner as a place for parents to sell nearly-new items that their young ones have outgrown.

But now Katie has had to put the website on hold as she focusses on raising her own three children.

She said: "I've had to put that aside for now, I'm too busy raising my children. I hope to pick it up again sometime soon."

We previously told how a thrifty mum spent £28 a WEEK on groceries for a family of four after she lost her job.

And another fed her family for just £3 a day after shopping for groceries online and at Waitrose… and the meals really do look delicious.