THE young French hunter who shot dead a British cyclist is haunted by the tragedy, his father revealed yesterday.

Traumatised Lucas Clerc, 22, was still in hospital last night being treated for severe shock.

He blasted Mark Sutton, 34, after apparently mistaking him for an animal.

His dad Dominique said that another hunter had spotted a “deer” and confirmed it was safe to shoot before his son pulled the trigger.

He insisted: “It was an accident. My son did not just shoot anywhere, he was shooting a deer, which had been identified by another hunter.”

The Sun revealed yesterday how Mark’s sister, Katie Toghill, 32, claimed the cyclist had repeatedly raped her a child.

But Dominique said that did not change how his family felt.

He said: “There is an investigation into what happened so I have to be careful what I say.

“I don’t know anything about this man who was killed, but it’s my son who is at the hospital. His life, our life, is not good right now.

“We are still sorry about what happened, very sorry for all this. It’s sad what has happened, whoever this man is.

“It’s bad for them, it is such a shame, even if this man committed these atrocities.

“Either way, it was an accident and a man has died.

“Whatever he’s committed, we have been greatly affected by this affair.

“We don’t know what will happen, there will be a judgment, but for the time being he is still in hospital.”

His mum Cecile Anselme added: “Can you imagine, what he is going through, a youngster of 22, going through this?

“You can’t even imagine, you don’t know.”

Prosecutors are yet to speak to Lucas about what happened on the hunt last Saturday.

Now his family fears reprisals from the emotional British community in the mountains.

Local cops driving past their mountain chalet home each evening to check on them.

Dominique added: “We know the English have been looking for our address and have had the police coming to check on us in the evenings.

“My wife has not been able to sleep because she’s been terrorised by the whole thing. She fears they will want to take their revenge.”

Last night another hunter, who wished to remain nameless said: “They are a lovely family, and he’s a good kid, working hard in the area.

“He has his own business and works close with the nature. Both him and his father are experienced hunters so this is a real tragedy for them.

“To still be in shock is very surprising.”

Lucas’ Facebook page is littered with references to hunting.

He has posted images of himself holding deer antler’s and taking aim with his high-powered rifle.

When he was just 18 he posed with a dead deer he apparently killed. The first snaps of him holding a rifle were posted in 2012, when he was just 16.

He even has a symbol of a wild boar coloured with the French flag.

Lucas is also friends with other prominent hunters across Europe, including one who has posted snaps of dozens of wild boar being shot.

Facebook snaps show Lucas, who runs his own forestry business, was an experienced hunter and woodsman.

He has also posted a number of snaps wielding chainsaws as part of his work across the forests of the region.

The pictures also show he is a keen motorcross rider.

Yesterday a spokesperson for the prosecutor said: “The investigation is continuing and there is nothing further to add.”