A FRAIL 96-year-old grandad was dumped at his home by a hospital driver with no-one to care for him.

Cliff Schofield’s horrified daughter Jane found him slumped in a chair still wearing his hospital gown.

She said: “We are absolutely disgusted. The driver surely has a duty of care for the person he is taking home?”

Retired steelworker Cliff had been taken to hospital and kept in after he fell, injuring his back and cutting his hand.

The next day hospital staff told Jane he was going to be released so she rushed to the hospital with clothes for him.

She said: “When I got to hospital he’d gone. The nurse I’d spoken to wasn’t there and other staff didn’t seem to know anything about it.

“When I got to his house he was inside, curled up in a chair far too small for him.

“A few feet away was a bigger armchair with a cushion but they appear to have just dumped him in the first chair they came across without any thought for his welfare.

“He was there for 30 minutes before I got there. I couldn’t believe it.”

Jane and husband Brian, of Rotherham, South Yorks, were so furious they took a picture of Cliff slumped in the chair and sent it to the hospital.

Brian said: “We want to know why he was discharged without any clothes, how the driver gained entry to his house and why he was left on his own.”

Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust apologised for the “inadequate” care and said it was investigating the incident.