FOUR men were murdered in London on New Year’s Eve as knife carnage descended on the city.

A fifth man is currently fighting for his life in hospital after the unrelated stabbings across South, East and North London in the space of seven hours, reports The Sun.
Four separate murder probes have now been launched following the carnage.

The first killing was at 7.35pm (6.35am AEDT) when a 20-year-old man was knifed to death in West Ham, East London.

Three hours later, a 17-year-old was fatally stabbed in Tulse Hill, South London.

At 11.30pm (10.30am AEDT), an 18-year-old died after being rushed to hospital when he was stabbed in Enfield, North London.

Then at 2.35am (1.35pm AEDT), a 20-year-old was killed in Old Street while another man, aged in his 20s, was rushed to hospital with critical stab injuries.

Five males have been arrested in connection with the murder in Enfield but no other arrests in the other killings have been made.

Commander Neil Jerome, of the Met’s Territorial Policing Command, said: “I am grateful to Londoners and visitors to the capital who co-operated with police — both at major celebrations in Westminster and at thousands of organised and private events across London — to enable the vast majority of people to enjoy New Year’s Eve.

“However, there were small groups who chose to engage in disorder and violence, and whose actions have had utterly tragic consequences.

“It is heartbreaking that, at a time when so many of us are contemplating what lies ahead in 2018, four families are dealing with the grief of losing a loved one to senseless violence and the callous use of knives as lethal weapons.

“I can assure Londoners — and the families and friends of the four males killed and the fifth who remains in hospital — that detectives will work tirelessly to bring to justice those responsible for such despicable acts of violence.”

“I would urge anyone with information about these attacks, and more generally about anyone who routinely carries a knife, to urgently pass that information to police or Crimestoppers.

“If you’ve hesitated to do so before, then these four tragic deaths at the start of a new year may persuade you to act now to make London safer for your family and friends in 2018.”