EDL founder Tommy Robinson has said he doesn’t care if he incites fear of Muslims as long as his message “prevents children from getting raped”.

The far-right activist discussed being convicted of contempt of court last year after he recorded suspects in a sexual grooming case in Canterbury, Kent.

He admitted that he wasn’t aware of contempt of court laws and insisted he only wanted parents in the area to know what the men were accused of doing.

Speaking to Sky News, Tommy, 35, said: “If I believe I'm morally right then I'm not bothered about what your law says.”

The men involved in the Canterbury case were out on bail at the time and Tommy – whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon - believed they still posed a threat.

He added: “The judge let down the British public. Those men should have been in a prison cell.

"To be honest with you, I don't care if it incites fear as long as it educates the children and prevents them from being raped."

Four men were convicted of gang rape following the trial but a judge still slammed Tommy’s actions, saying: “It’s about being innocent until proven guilty.”

Tommy admitted he wasn’t aware of any reporting restrictions or contempt of court laws but revealed he has now received legal training.

He also told Sky News the first thing he said to his wife after he was sent back to prison.

Tommy said: "The first phone call I made from Hull Prison was (to ask her) have you had enough yet?

"I said that I'm going to prison. Her answer was 'I'll still be here when you get out'."

It comes as hundreds of his supporters gathered outside court for his contempt case at the Old Bailey on Thursday morning.

He is accused of filming and broadcasting footage of defendants in a criminal trial at Leeds Crown Court on social media.

The former English Defence League chief was greeted by cheers from those gathered outside court, who had earlier chanted his name.

Protesters from a smaller counter-demonstration carried placards saying "Oppose Tommy Robinson".

The Recorder of London Judge Nicholas Hilliard QC then adjourned the case, saying he would receive written submissions before making a ruling at a later date.

The far-right activist was released from prison last month after three leading judges quashed a finding made at Leeds Crown Court in May, and granted him conditional bail from a 13-month jail sentence.

He was jailed after filming people involved in a criminal trial and broadcasting the footage on social media, and has already served the equivalent of a four-month sentence.

Tommy left HMP Onley in Rugby on August 1, but could face being sent back to jail, with a maximum sentence of two years in prison, if the judge finds him in contempt.