A FORMER Adelaide private school teacher who groomed one of her male students for sex could be deported after being given a suspended jail sentence.

In the South Australian District Court on Monday, Bettina Schmoock was jailed for 22 months with a non-parole period of 11 months.

However both terms were suspended with the 42-year-old placed on a three-year good behaviour bond.

In sentencing submissions last week the court was told while no sexual activity ever took place, Schmoock had booked a cottage for an encounter with the boy and that her actions could not be considered “mere fantasy”.

In texts released by the District Court on Monday, the former Concordia College teacher appeared to counsel the boy who, the court heard, feared he would die a virgin.

“Masturbation is a completely normal and healthy part of one’s life,” she says in one of the earliest messages.

“I even thought of telling you to sleep with someone as it helps to get rid of aggro and tension, but then I realised you had probably not slept with anybody.

“You should not do it with a young, unexperienced girl, because she might need you to make love to her, not have sex.”

It is from there that Schmoock threw even more caution to the wind.

“I’m yours in every which way, you can count on me,” she told him over the internet.

“I will teach you, body and soul, best I can.

“I told you I will be your friend, online at the moment and in secret if you need me physically.”

The Advertiser reports the boy decided to have a sexual encounter with a girl his own age, to which Schmoock reacted badly.

“I’m so amazing (sic) you threw your virginity away like this, wow,” she said.

“You must have been so very desperate ... I just hope you managed to use a condom as no one likes STDs.

The court heard the boy tried to end communication with Schmoock, but this only appeared to inflame the situation.

“I loved you from the bottom of my heart and you pushed me away ... I’m so sorry I’m not 20 and single ... believe me, I’m actually quite busy and desirable,” she told him.

“There’s two ways this can go. 1) Nowhere. 2) Everywhere. You just need to keep your mouth shut,” she said.

The boy then told his parents, the school and police — and Schmook was arrested.

Defence counsel said she had been affected by a four-month-long hypomanic episode, as part of her undiagnosed bipolar disorder, at the time of the offending.

In sentencing, Judge Gordon Barrett said he took into account Schmoock’s mental health at the time and that she was unlikely to be able to teach again. He said he also gave some weight to the apprehension and anxiety caused by her possible deportation with the mother of two not being an Australian citizen.

But he said it would be wrong for him to speculate on the likelihood of her being returned to her native Germany.

“It would be wrong for me to distort the penalty that I should otherwise impose,” the judge said. “It would be wrong for there to be a two-tiered system by which migrants are to receive a lesser penalty because of their liability to deportation.”

In a victim impact statement read to the court last week, the boy said his contact with Schmoock was initially comforting and described her as his best friend. But he said their relationship became too toxic to maintain, leaving him feeling trapped and alone.

Schmoock had earlier pleaded guilty to one aggravated count of communicating with the intent of procuring a child for sexual activity.