A BRIT’S stolen Ford Mondeo was used in at least 38 crimes by a “Bonnie and Clyde” couple who drove it 9,000 miles across Europe.

They took Elliot Higgins’ car during a test drive after he advertised it for sale.

Three weeks later the expat film-maker, who lives in Cadiz, south-west Spain, was told by police it had been found dumped 500 miles away in Alafar, Valencia.

Checks of the 12-year-old car’s radio GPS revealed it had been driven across the continent to Poland and the Czech Republic.

And while in Spain alone, its location linked it to 38 offences ranging from the armed robbery of a Mercedes, other car thefts and drug-dealing to a sex attack.

Elliot, of Crawley, West Sussex, told The Sun last night: “They stole it when I stopped to get petrol on a test drive.

“Now I find they were Spain’s answer to Bonnie and Clyde.”

He identified the Spanish couple to the Guardia Civil, who revealed they were known for running a motorbike theft ring. The woman called herself Julia.

Elliot said he had no idea they were armed. He said: “I’m glad it happened how it did because they planned to steal my car regardless. They might have shot me.”