MANY parents are turning to technology to help them get their kids to stay active, with Fitbits the cool new thing to bring to school gadget.

While adult zombies in the city are glued to their phones, kids are still running around at school, having fun and getting their daily steps up.

Fitbits are helping kids stay active by giving them an incentive to reach the Heart Foundation’s recommended 10,000 steps every day.

Nine-year-old Lucy Johnston from St Charles Primary, in Waverley, says Fitbits are popular at her school and kids love competing every day.

“Most of my friends at school have Fitbits. It started when a new girl who came to our school got one and then everybody wanted one. It was a cool thing to have.”

“All the kids at school challenge each other because we want to see who can get the most steps and because it’s a good goal to set for yourself.”

Lucy loves cricket and soccer and thinks it’s important for all kids to keep active and play sport.

“You need to be active to do sport. It’s important to be fit instead of just sitting around doing nothing so you can have a better future.”

Former nanny Shelby Garlick thinks Fitbits are amazing for kids, who can challenge themselves to get their daily steps up.

“A seven-year-old girl I looked after would force me to take her on walks to reach the recommended 10,000 daily steps. Before her parents bought her a Fitbit, she would get home and sit in front of the TV until bedtime.”

“Now when she has friends over, they always compete over who can get the most steps.”

The NSW Government says parents can encourage active play by buying gifts and sporting equipment that get kids and teens moving.

“A Fitbit would be a really cool birthday or Christmas present for kids because everybody wants one,” Lucy says.