The Perth family who lost three children in the Malaysia Airlines MH17 disaster urged Julie Bishop to run for prime minister to pursue justice for their three slain children.

Anthony Maslin and Rin Norris yesterday thanked Ms Bishop for “everything she has done for us”, saying the former foreign minister had held Russia to account for their involvement in the “catastrophic tragedy” of MH17.

“As Australia’s leading stateswoman, her strength of leadership and diplomacy make her a role model for not only young women, but all Australians,” the Maslins said.

“She is respectful, measured and considerate. She is someone to feel proud of as the others roll and tumble in the circus.”

Ms Bishop said the Maslins contacted her on the morning of Friday’s leadership spill, encouraging her to run for the nation’s top job on behalf of their children Mo, Evie and Otis, who were killed when their passenger jet was shot down over Ukraine in 2014.

An emotional Ms Bishop ranked her fight to win justice for families who lost loved ones in the on MH17 as among her greatest achievements, and urged her successor to continue to pursue Russian authorities.

Ms Bishop has received messages of support from around the world since announcing her retirement as foreign minister, including from Indonesian Foreign Minister Retno Marsudi and celebrity activist Amal Clooney.

British MP Boris Johnson, who quit as foreign secretary last month amid Brexit turmoil, texted yesterday: “Welcome to the backbench.”

Ms Bishop admitted the events of the past week had taken a heavy toll personally and questioned the logic of Liberals who were determined to tear down her “dearest friend” Malcolm Turnbull.

“I think that the Australian people are looking for answers and I hope that the political commentators will spell it out for them,” she said.

Ms Bishop questioned the logic of WA Liberals who played a role in Mr Turnbull’s overthrow, suggesting with her gone as deputy leader their home State was diminished on the national stage.

“I have always believed the WA members and senators had a responsibility to advocate for the best interests of their State in the context of being Federal members of Parliament,” she said. “There was an expectation amongst our party members that we would all ensure that that significant presence was retained in the interests of the State.”

Ms Bishop will go to the backbench but says she will not rush a decision on whether to quit Parliament.

She denied suggestions she was interested in the job of Australian ambassador to the United Nations.

“I have been preselected, I owe it to the Liberal Party first to inform them of my decision but I am going to take some time to consider my decision,” she said.

She said Mr Morrison would make a “very fine Prime Minister”.

Ms Bishop spoke to Mr Morrison on Saturday night and told him she wanted to think about her future.

She told him yesterday morning she would resign.

It is understood her only request of Mr Morrison was that NSW senator Marise Payne should succeed her as Foreign Minister. Mr Morrison confirmed Senator Payne would take the foreign portfolio as part of his reshuffle yesterday.

Danielle Blain, a key Bishop ally and fundraiser for the WA Liberals, said Ms Bishop would be remembered as one of the most significant ministers to come from this State. “She’s made an enormous contribution to the Liberal Party as a fundraiser — if anyone knows that I do,” she said.

Former premier Richard Court said she had been an extraordinary foreign minister and an exemplary local member of Parliament.

He said Ms Bishop came into Parliament the hard way when she successfully challenged John Howard ally turned independent Allan Rocher for the seat of Curtin in 1998.

“If all MPs looked after their local electorate as effectively as Julie there would be few complaints from the public,” Mr Court said. “But to do this and be an effective member of parliament is remarkable. She has set the bar for the next Foreign Minister very high.”

Businessman and friend John Poynton said the past week JUhad been very bruising for Ms Bishop.