FLAMES ripped through a family home after a FIREWORK was fired in through an open window last Sunday.

Jonathan Kabesha, 47, rushed his terrified family - including a baby - out of their council flat in Brixton when the rocket exploded in the living room.

But the situation became even more serious when mum Wivine Kabesha remembered that she had left the gas cooker on in the kitchen which threatened to trigger an even bigger explosion.

Jonathan risked his life by running back into the inferno to turn the oven as the fire raged inside the flat.

Wivine said of her husband: “He is mine and the children’s hero. Thank god he had that courage to run back in.

“All the time I was thinking it could be another Grenfell disaster."

The horrific incident took place on Sunday October 21 at around 5pm after the family had returned from church.

Jonathan was in the living room with his 27-month-old daughter Tabitha and son Emmanuel, 5, watching TV, while his wife and daughter Eunice, 12, were in the kitchen.

The firework suddenly crashed through an open window, picking up clothes that were hung on the balcony on its way, and detonated inside the flat.

McDonald’s employee and part-time student Jonathan said: “The firework ripped the curtains off the wall and exploded on the ceiling.

“It was a huge bang.

"In two minutes the whole room was full of smoke. I was fighting to save my baby’s life.

After Jonathan manged to turn the cooker off, the family ran down the building's stairs calling to neighbours to get out.

The Kabesha’s now say they're afraid to return home after the petrifying ordeal.

Jonathan explained: “We are traumatised. My wife and I cannot go back to work at the moment.

"I have been dreaming about the fire.

“I don’t know if we were targeted. My children think we were. It is not safe to take them back there now.

“It took us 13 years to build that home and in 15 minutes the whole place was destroyed and turned to ashes.”

Wivine said that Lambeth Council have told them that they could move back to Northcoat in a few months, but they don't want to.

She said: “It is an absolute no. I will not take my children back to that place. We think we could have been a target here, it's too dangerous.”

A spokesman for the London Fire Brigade added: “Forty per cent of the house was damaged in the fire.

“Two fire engines from Brixton station attended. We are running an investigation alongside the police.

“We believe this could be the first firework incident to have caused significant house fire this season.