THE thoroughness of Dreamworld’s training procedures has been questioned on the eighth day of an inquest into the October 2016 tragedy at the Gold Coast theme park.

The inquest at the Southport Coroners Court is looking into the deaths of Cindy Low, Kate Goodchild, her brother Luke Dorsett and his partner Roozi Araghi following a malfunction of the Thunder River Rapids Ride.

Training and compliance officer Amy Crisp instructed junior ride operator Courtney Williams on the day of the tragedy.

Ms Williams was working her first shift as a load operator on the 30-year-old ride when the tragedy occurred.

She told the inquest last week she wasn’t aware what an emergency stop button near the unload area did and hadn’t pushed it during the tragedy because she believed she needed authority from the senior ride attendant.

On Wednesday Ms Crisp said Ms Williams had “nodded in acknowledgement” when she had explained the function and when to use the emergency stop button that morning.

She did not press the button to show Ms Williams how it operated and said at no point in her time at the park had she herself had to push the button. “Touching of that button was not encouraged?” counsel assisting the coroner Ken Fleming QC asked Ms Crisp.

“In an emergency it was,” Ms Crisp replied.

Mr Fleming also queried how water levels were monitored on the ride, with a “scum line” the only indicator of whether they had dropped or not.

“The water stain on the wall, that was the only measure you had to determine the water level?,” Mr Fleming asked.

Ms Crisp replied it was but agreed it would have been easy for a maintenance staff member to paint a depth indicator on the wall if it had been deemed necessary.

On Tuesday video of a walk-through with police involving Ms Crisp days after the tragedy was played to the inquest.

Ms Crisp defends her training of Ms Williams in the video.

“I know that I showed her everything ... not once did I question my training,” Ms Crisp tells detectives.

“As long as the rafts are bobbling around, you know that the water level is enough. As soon as they’re not moving, or as soon as you notice the water level drop, that’s how you know the water level is not right.”

The words Dave Turner shouted at Dreamworld staff moments after witnessing his wife, brother-in-law and two other people die at the Gold Coast theme park, were heard at the inquest yesterday.

Mr Turner had screamed at Dreamworld staff, “Why didn’t you stop the ride?”

Mr Turner’s 12-year-old daughter Ebony had escaped the capsized raft but her mother Kate, uncle Luke Dorsett, his partner Roozi Araghi and another tourist, Cindy Low, were killed.

The 30-year-old ride malfunctioned, causing their raft to collide with another and then flip.

Ride operator Peter Nemeth had told the inquest he pushed the emergency stop button on the Thunder River Rapids several times “but nothing happened”.

He had denied previous claims that he pushed the wrong button on his control panel in a panic.

Dreamworld attractions supervisor Sarah Cotter arrived on the scene within seconds of the tragedy and saw Mr Turner’s confrontation with staff at the Thunder River Rapids Ride.

Ms Cotter told the inquest that in her opinion an alarm button that would alert park staff to an emergency had not been pushed as it should have been.

She added that she believed the ride’s conveyor had never been stopped by operators.

“There was a raft on an angle — for it to be in that position the conveyor must still have been running through all that time,” she said.

“I don’t think it was ever stopped, or (it was) just jammed stopped.”

Mr Turner and Shane Goodchild, the father of Mr Dorsett and Ms Goodchild, have already released a statement saying they blame Dreamworld “totally” for the tragedy in October 2016.

In a video played to the inquest, Dreamworld training and compliance officer Amy Crisp told detectives during a walk-through at the attraction site she couldn’t understand how the tragedy had occurred.

“The shut down should have worked … there was time for it,” Ms Crisp said.

Junior ride attendant Courtney Williams was working in the unload role on the ride for the first time on the day of the tragedy.

She told the inquest last week she hadn’t pushed an emergency stop button near her station because Ms Crisp had told her that morning not to worry about it and “nobody ever uses it”.

Ms Crisp however told detectives Ms Williams had been told the button stopped the conveyor and she could use it in an emergency.

“I know when Courtney is unsure about something,” Ms Crisp said. “I trained her on this procedure and I trained her well.”

Ms Crisp’s fiance Michael Stead, who works at Dreamworld in a maintenance role, told police in a statement he believed the park had a “very sound” safety culture at the time of the tragedy.

Mr Stead added the water pump responsible for the malfunction — which had already malfunctioned twice that day — had “good reliability”.

A Dreamworld executive meeting revealed spending cutbacks on repairs and maintenance

in the months before a fatal accident.

The March 2016 meeting outlined monthly expenditure was $125,000 over budget on a year-to-date basis.

“Revenue is up but profit is down, cutbacks are now being enforced,” the document stated.

“Repairs and maintenance spending needs to stop, only CAPEX (capital expenditure).” Dreamworld’s executive made the decision despite a newly appointed safety manager telling the Southport Coroners Court the park’s safety systems were inadequate at the time of the tragedy.