A HIGH-PROFILE gay rights lawyer and environmentalist has been found burned to death in Prospect Park, New York in a bizarre protest suicide.

The charred remains of David Buckel, 60, were found just after dawn as firefighters responded to reports of a fire in the popular Brooklyn park.

The New York Daily News reports that a note left for police explained that Buckel had used “fossil fuel” in his death as a metaphor for the way humans are killing the earth.

“My name is David Buckel and I just killed myself by fire as a protest suicide,” read a handwritten message left at the scene. “I apologise to you for the mess.”

“My early death by fossil fuel reflects what we are doing to ourselves,” he wrote. “A lifetime of service may best be preserved by giving a life ... Honourable purpose in life invites honourable purchase in death.”

“I hope it is an honourable death that might serve others.”

Buckel famously served as lead lawyer in a lawsuit involving transgender murder victim Brandon Teena, who was raped and murdered in 1993 in Nebraska.

Hilary Swank won the Best Actress Oscar in 2000 for portraying Teena in Boys Don’t Cry, beating out Annette Bening, Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep.

The case fought by Buckel found a county sheriff negligent in the killing for his failure to protect Teena from her rapists — who returned and killed her once she went to authorities.

“It’s a very important case, not only within Nebraska but nationally,” Buckel said at the time. “The court sent a strong message to law enforcement that it’s important to protect and respect crime victims. It should not be the case that reporting a crime makes matters worse for you.”

The case served as a strong precedent on hate crimes in the US.

Recently, Buckel worked at the Added Value Red Hook Community Farm and served as senior Organics Recovery Coordinator for the NYC Compost Project.

Buckel was passionate about the environment and finding ways to recycle and reuse a lot of our waste.

If you are experiencing mental health issues or suicidal feelings contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or BeyondBlue 1300 224 636. If it is an emergency please call 000.