A PENSIONER who terrorised her neighbours with knives, tried to poison their cat and threw POO at them has avoided jail.

Neighbour from hell Barbera Minns, 72, was given a suspended sentence for her prolonged and violent campaign of harassment against Adele Richards and Gary Authers.

Following her conviction, the couple have lifted the lid on the trauma of living next door to the pensioner they described as "evil".

The attacks were so frequent and terrifying that Gary and Adele kept a "harassment diary" to present to police.

The couple even installed cameras to record the behaviour as evidence to be used against Minns in court should she not have pleaded guilty.

Minns, of Falmouth, Cornwall, was given a 36-week prison sentence, suspended for two years, at Cornwall Magistrates' Court.

She admited causing her neighbours to fear that violence would be used against them, being in possession of an article with a blade or point, assault and two counts of drink driving.

She was also made subject of a restraining order preventing her from contacting the couple or entering their property and given a five year driving ban.

Adele and Gary collected photographic evidence of vandalism and other intimidating behaviour, including when Minns attempted to poison their cats while they were away.

Reacting to the magistrates' verdict, Adele, 45, said: "It really has been hell.

"We haven't been on holiday as we're too scared to leave the cats.

"We don't feel safe in our own home.

"We've done nothing wrong. We haven't retaliated and haven't been able to let the cats outside in case they get poisoned."

Adele said she was unable to sit in and enjoy her own back garden because if Minns saw her there she would shout "f***ing bitch" and spray her with a hose.

Bizarrely, Adele said that for a period of time she got on with Minns, walking her dog and helping her with jobs, but that all changed in August of last year.

Gary said: "It was August bank holiday and I went bike racing. She came around and started talking to Adele and asked her what she was doing today.

"Adele said she didn't know but then her mum and stepdad turned up and said they had tickets for a boat trip.

"Minns then snapped and said to Adele 'you said you weren't doing anything, we could have went somewhere', before phoning up and calling her a bitch.

"She then said to me 'your girlfriend is a wh*re and a f*cking liar' and that night sticks were thrown over the wall and the wipers pulled off the car. It all went from there."

Adele was present when Minns was arrested for drink driving after hitting numerous cars and only coming to a halt when her car suffered a flat tyre.

Adele also said Minns threatened her by saying, "I'll cut your bloody head off" and has even fired a hose into her bathroom window as well as regularly standing and staring at the property.

She has also launched dog poo into Adele and Gary's garden and chucked stones at their vehicles.

reviews
In response Minns said: "It is the biggest load of rubbish. I'm in total shock. I'm a 72-year-old who is five foot tall with ME and have had three major ops in 18 months.

"I'm completely shocked to the ground. I don't know why you've have had to ring a 72-year-old who lives on her own. I've been bullied. Anybody who knows me knows I'm nothing like that.

"I'll admit the drink driving. I was very stupid. I'm normally very gentle, kind and I've been totally obliterated."