AN evil dad killed four members of his own family "using a sword" before he was shot dead by cops as he tried to murder an eight-year-old girl.

Mark Leo Gregory Gago, 42, was gunned down by hero sheriffs at his home in rural Oregon on Saturday.

The monster had killed his own parents, the mother of his child and their 9-month-old baby daughter in a murderous rampage.

Officers described the scene - about 20 miles south of Portland near the city of Woodburn - as "shocking".

None of the victims were shot, police said - with investigators still determining what weapons were used in the bloodbath.

Clackamas County Sheriff’s Sergeant Brian Jensen said swords may have been used.

'SHOCKING' SCENE
He told reporters on Sunday: "I’ve talked to investigators, 20-year veterans, and they’re saying this is a shocking scene."

Of the victims, Sgt Jensen added: "They were not shot.

"We’re not sure what was used at this time.

"I’ve been told that there were numerous weapons, swords, things of that nature in the residence.

"The investigators are trying to determine what exactly was used to kill each person."

SHOT WHILE TRYING TO KILL GIRL
A neighbour said an axe may have been used as the main murder weapon, but authorities have not confirmed this.

The victims have been named as baby Olivia Gago, 9 months, Gago's girlfriend Shaina Sweitzer, 31, and his parents Jerry Bremer, 66, and Pamela Bremer, 64.

Gago was trying to kill Sweitzer's eight year-old daughter from a previous relationship when he was shot dead, police said.

In a tweet, the Sheriff's office said: "Deputies saved the life of a young girl by using deadly force on the murder suspect as he was attempting to kill her. All deputies were uninjured, suspect is deceased."

The little girl and a female roommate survived and were today being treated for non-life threatening injuries at a nearby hospital.

Police were called at around 10:15pm local time after a blood-soaked survivor ran to a neigbhour's house to raise the alarm.

The neighbour, who asked not to be named, told KGW News: "She was yelling that she had been attacked and we needed to call 911.

"My daughter was walking across the yard and she ran into the house and called me.

"I went and talked to her and let her into the property and called 911.

"She had some injuries on her arms, injuries to her torso. She said I didn't see them but she was bleeding a little bit.

"She said she was asleep in her bed and Mark woke her up by attacking her.

"She wrestled with him, got the weapon away from him.

"She said it was like an axe-type thing, described as a splitting ball for firewood."

The sheriff's office took an emergency call from the resident who described a violent and hectic scene, Jensen said.

Arriving deputies found a "horrific" situation, the sergeant added.

They found a woman dead outside the home and Gago attacking the child and he was shot dead.

Gago had been arrested in August on a weapons charge.

Srgt Jensen later revealed that Gago was booked on a charge of unlawful possession of a weapon.