DESERVING volunteers have today been honoured at a special ceremony at Government House.

The Victorian Premiers Volunteer Champion Awards — established to recognise the outstanding contribution of community members — honours 60 volunteers who have given their all for others.

They include an SES stalwart, a tea trolley lady who has cared for the elderly for 30 years and a big-hearted woman who helps migrant mothers and their children feel at home in Australia.

Knitting whiz Nancy Winder is also among those nominated for their community mindset and hard work.

Mrs Winder has spent more than 65 years volunteering her time and being commended for knitting beanies for premature and stillborn babies.

The 84-year-old has donated thousands of knitted hats and beanies to hospitals across Victoria and interstate, giving a little piece of handmade comfort to families in need.

“Many many years ago I went to the Berry Street home when I was teaching Guides and there were blind babies so I thought I’d knit them something and I just haven’t stopped knitting,” Mrs Winder said.

Mrs Winder has also put her needles to work knitting beanies, scarfs and fingerless gloves for soldiers in Afghanistan - using only pure wool to ensure they last.

The great-great grandmother has volunteered for a range of charities and organisation including the Girl Guides, CARATAS and Mother’s Union, Salvation Army and her local Lions Club where she collects donations for wheelchairs to give to the elderly.

With two great-great grandchildren on the way, Mrs Winder said knitting “keeps her out of trouble and off the streets.”

“I’ve got quite a few hand knitted things [for the hospitals],” she said.

“But at the moment I’m having two great grandchildren so I’m knitting lots for them.”

Minister for Families and Children Jenny Mikakos said the awards were about giving recognition to the positive and ongoing impact of volunteers.

“Days like today are powerful reminders of how lucky Victoria is to have its volunteers – these are people who quietly put their hands up, advocate for change and give back without asking for anything in return,’’ Ms Mikakos said.