DONALD Trump tweeted support for his Supreme Court pick despite approving an FBI probe into sex attack claims.

The President demanded a "supplemental investigation", but then posted that Brett Kavanaugh will be "truly great" in the Supreme Court.

Trump wrote: "Just started, tonight, our 7th FBI investigation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh. He will someday be recognized as a truly great Justice of The United States Supreme Court!"

Kavanaugh was earlier backed by a Senator panel, which voted 11-10 to allow him to face the full Senate a day after his accuser choked back tears giving evidence to the group.

But Republican senator Jeff Flake said it would be “proper” to delay a Senate floor vote on him for a week in order for an FBI probe to take place.

And tonight President Trump confirmed he has ordered the bureau to reopen the background investigation into Kavanaugh.

In an earlier statement he said: “I’ve ordered the FBI to conduct a supplemental investigation to update Judge Kavanaugh’s file.

"As the Senate has requested, this update must be limited in scope and completed in less than one week.”

Kavanaugh, whose confirmation to the Supreme Court would swing the nine-person US court firmly to the right, and his accuser gave evidence to the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday.

Over four hours, Dr Christine Ford, a psychology professor at Palo Alto University in California, choked back tears as she told the committee how she was "100 per cent" certain a drunken Kavanaugh attacked her at a house party as teenagers.

This evening Mark Judge, who Dr Ford says was in the room, has said he will co-operate with any law enforcement agency that investigates “confidentially”.

Kavanaugh was Donald Trump's pick for the vacant seat on the nine-member US Supreme Court.

However, his nomination has been derailed after three women came forward to accuse him of sexual misconduct during his time at high school and university.

He has repeatedly denied the accusations and has claimed they are a politically-motivated "hit job" and tantamount to "character assassination".

Kavanaugh issued his own statement through the White House saying he's been interviewed by the FBI before, done "background" calls with the Senate and answered questions under oath "about every topic" senators have asked.

"I've done everything they have requested and will continue to cooperate," said the 53-year-old judge.

Democrats say the allegations need to be investigated by the FBI and Republicans are simply trying to railroad through his nomination.

With all the Democrats expected to vote no, of the 11 Republicans, only the vote of Jeff Flake of Arizona remained in doubt.

The retiring senator, who has stayed quiet in recent days, told reporters yesterday: "This isn't easy. We just do the best we can."

Republicans now face the prospect of confirming the nomination in the full Senate.

Currently controlled 51-49 by Trump's fellow Republicans, a single defection from his camp would require Vice President Mike Pence to break a tie.

Yesterday's hearing took place against the backdrop of the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and assault, and many labelled her harrowing public testimony as a defining moment in the movement.

President Donald Trump, Kavanaugh's patron, is accused by more than a dozen women of sexual misconduct and says he's been falsely accused.

Allies of the movement argue that an allegation of sexual assault should be taken seriously enough to be investigated by the FBI. Ford's was not.

In many ways, the hearing turned on Ford's credibility as a victim of and a witness to an event that Kavanaugh staunchly denies.

Many women across the US are also concerned that should he join the Supreme Court, the right-wing majority of Justices could overturn landmark legislation that grants the right to abortion.

Ford first alleged in an interview with the Washington Post earlier this month that Mr Kavanaugh pinned her to a bed and tried to undress her when they were both teenagers.

A second woman, Deborah Ramirez, then came forward to accuse the prospective Supreme Court justice of thrusting his penis in her face when they were both at Yale University in the 1980s.

Finally, Julie Swetnick went public with an accusation Kavanaugh was present at parties where women were drugged and "gang raped" by groups of men.

WHAT DID THEY SAY AT THE HEARING?
Dr Ford told the committee that, one night in the summer of 1982, a drunken Kavanaugh forced her down on a bed, "groped me and tried to take off my clothes," then clamped his hand over her mouth when she tried to scream before she was able to escape.

Reading from a prepared statement, Dr Ford said Kavanaugh and his friend Mark Judge pushed her into a bedroom at a house party.

She said: "Brett groped me and tried to take off my clothes. He had a hard time because he was so drunk, and because I was wearing a one-piece bathing suit under my clothes. I believed he was going to rape me. I tried to yell for help. When I did, Brett put his hand over my mouth to stop me from screaming.

"It was hard for me to breathe, and I thought that Brett was accidentally going to kill me. This was what terrified me the most, and has had the most lasting impact on my life."

Upon questioning, Ford's voice cracked as she described her most vivid memory being the "uproarious laughter" of the pair.

"They were laughing with each other. Having fun at my expense. Two friends having a really good time with one another."

Kavanaugh next took centre stage to angrily and tearfully claimed he was the victim of a "political hit" after Dr Ford said she was "100 percent certain" he attacked her. He branded himself a victim of "grotesque and obvious character assassination".

He then "unequivocally and categorically" denied Ford's allegation, adding: "I will not be intimidated into withdrawing from this process."

"I'm here today to tell the truth, I've never sexually assaulted anyone, not in high school, not college, not ever. Those who make allegations always deserve to be heard. At the same time, the subject of the allegations also deserves to be heard."

WHAT HAPPENS NOW?
Flake's intervention put Senate confirmation of Kavanaugh in further doubt.

It means a final Senate vote on the nomination could be delayed for up to a week so the FBI investigation can be completed.

Republicans hold a slim Senate 51-49 majority, making the votes of two other so-far undecided Republican moderates crucial.

If confirmed, Kavanaugh would consolidate conservative control of the nation's highest court and advance Trump's broad effort to shift the American judiciary to the right.

Democrats said Kavanaugh's confirmation could taint the Supreme Court, which prides itself on staying above the political fray.

Kavanaugh could be the deciding vote on contentious legal issues if he is confirmed to the nine-member court, with disputes involving abortion, immigration, gay rights, voting rights and transgender troops possibly heading to the court soon.

The court begins its next term on Monday, down one justice after the retirement of conservative Anthony Kennedy effective in July.

Trump nominated Kavanaugh to replace Kennedy.