US President Donald Trump doubled down overnight on his threat to “get involved” in the Justice Department over the Russia probe and the refusal of Deputy Attorney-General Rod Rosenstein to bend to his will.

“A rigged system — They don’t want to turn over documents to Congress. What are they afraid of? Why so much redacting? Why such unequal ‘justice?’

“At some point I will have no choice but to use the powers granted to the Presidency and get involved!” Mr Trump tweeted.

Mr Rosenstein said on Tuesday that the department would not be cowed by threats and would adhere to the rule of law, reports the New York Post.
“The Justice Department is independent of inappropriate political considerations,” said Mr Rosenstein, a Republican the president appointed, according to CNN.

Mr Trump had earlier threatened to inject himself into the department’s workings in a phone call to Fox & Friends late last month.

“You look at the corruption at the top of the FBI, it’s a disgrace. And our Justice Department — which I try and stay away from, but at some point I won’t — our Justice Department should be looking at that kind of stuff, not the nonsense of collusion with Russia. There is no collusion with me and everyone knows it,” he said, referring to his belief that the feds should be scrutinising James Comey, whom he has called a “liar and leakier,” and “Crooked” Hillary Clinton.

A former lawyer for Mr Trump said that investigators looking into Russian election meddling have raised the prospect of issuing a grand jury subpoena to compel Mr Trump to testify under oath.

The lawyer, John Dowd, told The Associated Press the subject came up during a meeting to negotiate the terms of a possible interview with the US president. Mr Dowd’s comments provide a new window into the interactions between Mr Trump’s lawyers and the special counsel leading the Russia investigation.

Mr Trump lashed out against the investigation in a familiar fashion on Wednesday, saying on Twitter: “There was no collusion (it is a hoax) and there is no Obstruction of Justice (that is a set up & trap).”