DONALD TRUMP insisted he and Theresa May “like each other a lot” despite falling out when he shared anti-Muslim propaganda on Twitter.

Speaking as he met the British prime minister in Davos, the US President admitted “some people don’t necessarily believe” that the two leaders get on well, reports The Sun.

“We’ve had a great discussion, we’re on the same wavelength in every respect,” Mr Trump said.

“The Prime Minister and myself have a really great relationship — although some people don’t necessarily believe that, but I can tell you I have a tremendous respect for the Prime Minister and the job she’s doing.”

And he insisted the two countries are “joined at the hip” in military terms, adding: “There’s nothing that would happen to you [where] we wouldn’t be there to fight for you. You know that.”

Mrs May said the get-together would be friendly and vowed that she will cut a free trade deal with Mr Trump.

She told the BBC: “That relationship between the UK and America is strong as it ever has been.

“What I want to be talking to the President about and will be talking to him about is a whole range of foreign policy areas where we face shared challenges and are working together.

“Free trade is a topic that I have discussed with the President in the past, we’re very keen that we’ll be able to do that free trade agreement when we leave the European Union with the United States of America.

“They’re keen on that, we’re keen on that and we’re already working on how we can shape that.”

Hopes for a good trade deal also rose when Mr Trump’s treasury secretary vowed the UK would be at “the front of the line” for an agreement.

Steve Mnuchin told an audience in Davos: “We’re clearly supportive of the UK over Brexit issues. We want to see a successful transition that is good for the UK and good for the market.

“As soon as the UK is ready, we’d be prepared to negotiate an attractive trade deal. [Britain] would go to the front of the line, not the back of the line.”

Barack Obama said before the Brexit referendum that Britain would join “the back of the queue” for a trade deal if the country voted to quit the EU — prompting fury over his interference.

Mrs May and Mr Trump haven’t had a face-to-face meeting since the President retweeted anti-Muslim videos from hate group Britain First, prompting a huge transatlantic stoush.

Mr Trump recently cancelled a planned trip to London to open the new US embassy — but he is still due to come on a state visit hosted by the Queen.

TRUMP SAYS PALESTINIANS ‘DISRESPECTED’ THE US

It comes as Mr Trump also held talks with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu who praised the US president for recognising Jerusalem as Israel’s capital and to move the US Embassy there from Tel Aviv.

Mr Trump said that Palestinians had “disrespected” the United States and that he would withhold hundreds of millions of dollars in aid until they agree to US-brokered peace talks.

“They disrespected us a week ago by not allowing our great vice president to see them,” Mr Trump said during a warm meeting with Mr Netanyahu in Davos.

“We give them hundreds of millions,” Mr Trump added. “That money is not going to them unless they sit down and negotiate peace.”

The president’s decision last year to recognise Jerusalem as Israel’s capital roiled Arab nations and led Palestinians to refuse to negotiate with the US on grounds that America can no longer be an honest broker in the quest for peace. Palestinians claim east Jerusalem for their future capital.