US President Donald Trump blasted the Wall Street Journal in a tweet overnight, claiming the newspaper “falsely” quoted his comments about the North Korean leader because “they just wanted a story.

“The Wall Street Journal stated falsely that I said to them ‘ I have a good relationship with Kim Jong Un ‘ (of N. Korea) ,” Trump wrote on Twitter.
“Obviously I didn’t say that. I said ‘ I’d have a good relationship with Kim Jong Un,” a big difference. Fortunately we now record conversations with reporters … and they knew exactly what I said and meant. They just wanted a story. FAKE NEWS! ”

The Wall Street Journal made the decision to release the audio following Trump’s claim, and published a message on their website saying they stand by their report.

In the interview published last week, Trump raised eyebrows when he claimed he “probably” had a good relationship with the North Korean leader.

“I probably have a very good relationship with Kim Jong Un of North Korea ,” Trump said in the interview.

“I have relationships with people. I think you people are surprised.”

The transcript was released after the White House raised questions about the accuracy of some of Trump’s quotes.

But the newspaper said it reviewed the audio from the interview and the transcript and believe his comments were reported accurately.

“We have reviewed the audio from our interview with President Trump, as well as the transcript provided by an external service, and stand by what we reported. Here is audio of the portion the White House disputes ,” the Wall Street Journal said.