US President Donald Trump has announced the cancellation of his top diplomat’s upcoming visit to North Korea, while taking a swipe at China over efforts to disarm the nuclear state.

“I have asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo not to go to North Korea, at this time, because I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula,” Mr Trump said by tweet.

“Additionally, because of our much tougher Trading stance with China, I do not believe they are helping with the process of denuclearisation as they once were (despite the UN Sanctions which are in place),” Mr Trump said.

The US President finished off his volley of tweets by strangely saying he would “like to send my warmest regards and respect to Chairman Kim. I look forward to seeing him soon”.

Mr Pompeo was poised to make his fourth trip to North Korea.

Earlier this month the Un Security Council said North Korea had not stopped its nuclear and missile programs.

It also says Pyongyang has resorted to a “massive increase” of illegal ship-to-ship transfers of oil products and has been trying to sell weapons abroad.

US officials said Pyongyang appeared to be building new ballistic missiles despite recent warming ties with US President Donald Trump’s administration and pledges to denuclearise.