DONALD Trump has sensationally apologised for re-tweeting Islamophobic tweets from far-right political organisation Britain First, claiming he didn’t know who the group was.

In an interview with Good Morning Britain presenter Piers Morgan, the US President said he “knows nothing” about the organisation and felt an impulse to re-tweet their content because of his drive to combat Islamic extremism.

He said he did not intend to glorify “horrible, racist people”.

“I don’t want to cause any difficulty for your country,” Trump told Morgan, a British journalist.

“If you are telling me they’re horrible people, horrible, racist people, I would certainly apologise if you’d like me to do that.”

Morgan accused the president of causing “huge anxiety and anger in my country, because Britain First is basically a bunch of racists, fascists”.

“Of course I didnt know that,” Trump said.

“I know nothing about them (Britain First), I know nothing about them today, other than I read a little bit.

“Perhaps it was a big story in the UK, but in the United States it wasn’t a big story.

“I did a retweet. When you do those retweets they can cause problems because you never know who’s doing it to start off with.”

In November last year, Trump caused uproar when he retweeted a number of videos originally posted by Jayda Fransen — the deputy leader of Britain First.

The videos included a group of Muslims pushing a boy off a roof, another of a Muslim destroying a statue of the Virgin Mary, and an immigrant Muslim violently beating a Dutch boy on crutches.

Britain First are a far-right political organisation, which is renowned for filming themselves on the streets where they have harrassed Muslims and marched through multicultural towns with Christian crosses.