A MAN switched places with his identical twin brother on Death Row in a bid to take his place when his time came to be executed.

David Moore, who was 26 at the time of the switch, swapped places with his murderer brother Carey Dean Moore.

While both were locked at the same jail in Nebraska, the brothers changed clothes and even jobs after asking for a meeting together to discuss a family matter.

The con managed to work for several hours but was foiled by an eagle-eyed kitchen supervisor who noticed something odd about ‘David’.

Now David is due to watch is brother die when he is expected to be executed by lethal injection next week.

According to the Lincoln Journal Star, the switch was done as a spur-of-the-moment whim to get Carey out.

Now Carey, who is referred to as Dean by his brother, is due to die by lethal injection next Tuesday morning for slaughtering two taxi drivers.

He is the state’s longest-serving Death Row inmate after he shot and killed Omaha cabbies Reuel Van Ness Jr and Maynard Helgeland in 1979.

David told the paper: "It will not be easy, no.

"But Dean wants me there, so I have little choice."

David added that at the time the pair were “animals” but have changed over time.

During the switch in 1984 the brothers swapped clothing with David later being taken to Death Row.

Carey had been on Death Row for nearly 40 years over the killings.

Helgeland’s son, Steve, wrote on Facebook: "With the impending execution of the murderer of Maynard Helgeland and Reuel Van Ness a few thoughts cross my mind.

"While his execution and death are not a pleasant thing and I am positive his family will experience pain over his loss they have had 40 years to prepare themselves for this, 40 years to bond, 40 years to share, 40 years is a long time.

"The murderer only allowed me 13 years total with my father. I would trade 20 years of my life to get 40 years with my father."