A HEARTBROKEN dad has expressed his grief on Facebook as his daughter lost her cancer battle six years after her mum unexpectedly died.

Lucy Moroney, from Heswall, Merseyside, had been diagnosed with Diffuse Instrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG), in July 2017, an untreatable brain tumour.

Lucy had been undergoing pioneering treatment in Mexico to beat the cancer which currently has a zero per cent survival rate in the UK.

She had been showing signs of progress, until Friday evening when she passed away.

Completely distraught, her dad, Joe, wrote on the Facebook launched to raise funds for her treatment: "Lucy, when you were born almost 11 years ago Mummy and I (mainly Mummy) chose your name, knowing the meaning of it was light.

“Your light burnt very brightly, my darling.”

Her death came six years after her mum unexpectedly died at their family home in 2015, suffering cardiac arrest

He added: "Having witnessed Mummy and your sister Ruby take their last breaths six years ago, it was traumatic and heart-breaking once again to witness you do the same, even with nearly 16 months advanced warning.

"But as painful as it was to experience, I wouldn’t have chosen to be anywhere else my gorgeous baby. You were a dream daughter, absolute perfection.

"You were as good as gold, so caring, beautiful and with the most pure heart. You must have got that from your Mummy."

Joe was watching TV with 33-year-old wife Nicola, who was 24 weeks pregnant, when she suddenly died in front of him.

At the time Lucy was just four and her sister Amy was almost two.

The couple's daughter Ruby was born by emergency caesarean but sadly died in her distraught dad's arms 14 hours later.

Last year, Lucy's aunt Paula set up a fundraising page for Lucy in a bid to raise £300,000 to fund therapies not offered on the NHS.

Joe was keen to take her swimming with dolphins before her condition deteriorated.

But her symptoms suddenly became worse. She could no longer swallow fluids instead relying on a nasal feeding tube and she cannot walk unaided, sometimes using a wheelchair.

Before Lucy's death, Joe said: "It is the worst type of tumour a child can get. It will affect her sight, her breathing, her movement.

"It will slowly take over her brain and even though she will be completely aware and conscious, her body will be giving up.

"Knowing you could lose a child in that way is the maximum pain you could ever imagine."