A DAD killed himself after a missed council tax bill spiralled into £72,000 of debt and left him bankrupt.

Nigel Hurst tragically wrote a final Facebook post hinting at what he was about to do, before his body was found hours later by bailiffs.

In the emotional post, the 56-year-old also wrote: "Goodnight sweet world."

He added, in a heartbreaking letter to his daughters: "It breaks my heart to write this. I love you with all my heart.

"I have been so unhappy in my personal life for so long, I cannot go on. Now I am about to lose my house as well as my self respect, I have decided to go.

"Do not grieve for me for long. Passing for me will be a huge relief."

His body was found alongside the note to Jessica, 26, and Sally, 20 explaining his decision.

Jessica told the BBC today: "Sadly he never sought financial advice and never spoke to me or my sister.

"He was a very private person and would have seen asking for help as a failure - as a man, as much as anything else.

"I think he buried his head in the sand, put the letters to one side and tried to carry on life as normal."

Mr Hurst initially owed £1,473, but his debts eventually escalated to £72,000.

Before his death he was paying monthly fees of £800 in a bid to repay the total sum.

He had missed a payment in 2008 and was billed for a year upfront, his daughter Jessica said.

After the sum owed to the council reached £9,332 in 2014, Mr Hurst was declared bankrupt at Barrow-in Furness County Court.

The dad was charged an extra £3,800 for "statutory interest".

The bill he owed to trustees appointed to collect his debt, BDO, then crept up to £72,000.

In a bid to keep the family home - valued at £140,000 - Jessica offered to pay £40,000 in March but debt firm BDO UK refused.

She shared her dad's suicide note with the Daily Record in a bid to expose the impact which bailiffs can have on people's lives.

A coroner in March ruled Nigel's death on October 4 was suicide.

BDO UK said in a statement: "On Wednesday, October 4, 2017, a court bailiff and agent were due to meet Mr Hurst and the property handed over.

"Unfortunately, the tragic discovery of Mr Hurst’s death was made.

"BDO have waived their statutory entitlement to be paid all their fees, and have been in contact with the other stakeholders in an endeavour to minimise the bankruptcy liabilities and costs."

Michael Fisher, revenues and benefits manager for South Lakeland District Council, told the BBC: "Now we have the full picture of Mr Hurst's situation, we do regret starting the bankruptcy process.

"We would not have taken this course of action had we had the full picture from the outset.

"Mr Hurst did not co-operate and the reason his fees are as high as they are is because of the amount of time and effort which has been spent on trying to recover the monies that were outstanding."

He recommended anyone else in Mr Hurst's situation to talk to their creditors as soon as possible.

The Sun Online has gone to South Lakeland District Council for further comment.