A COUPLE desperate to have children have launched an online crowdfunding page to try and raise £20,000 to pay for surrogacy.

Jamie Potts and her partner Mike have endured two rounds of IVF and suffered heartache in their bid to become parents.

And after being told adoption is the last option, they are reaching out to the public to try and raise the thousands of pounds needed to find a surrogate.

Jamie, 36 and Mike, 26, from Eccles in Salford, have so far raised £295 of the £20,000 needed.

Last month, Jamie underwent a second round of IVF and her last procedure to harvest eggs. One embryo was implanted, but just days later she started bleeding.

She now has two embryos left, and knowing she cannot carry them herself, is desperate to find a surrogate to carry them for her.

Jamie, who works in health and social care but took time off to focus on starting a family, was told by doctors she has tubal blockage in both fallopian tubes, an under-active thyroid, low AMH (Anti-Mullerian Hormone) and a bicornuate uterus.

She said she had wanted to be a mum ever since she was a little girl.

In an interview with the Manchester Evening News Jamie said: “To me being a mum is as important as breathing. Some people were born to be doctors, or nurses – I was born to be a mum.

“My sisters have children. I’ve nursed them, watched them grow, learn to walk and talk. It’s heartbreaking as all I want is a child of my own to share that with.”

She added: “We have also looked into adoption, but we have been told that it is a last point of call. We have to explore every other avenue first.

“I can’t carry a child, but we have two embryos left in the freezer that we want someone to carry for us.”

Surrogacy is the name given for a type of pregnancy where a woman caries and gives birth to another person's baby.

Jamie said she accepts the fact not everyone will agree with to what they are doing. But she feels like they have no other option and they are looking to surrogacy through the Care Fertility Manchester clinic.

She added: “I’ve read stories about people who have remortgaged their homes to become parents. But we aren’t in the position to do that.

“That’s why we set up the appeal, reaching out to family, friends, and even strangers to help make our dream of becoming a family come true.”