COUNTDOWN presenter Nick Hewer raised eyebrows today after claiming he has an owl in his freezer - and he's planning on getting it stuffed.

The former Apprentice star claims the bird of prey swooped into his bathroom window and died after smashing into a mirror.

And to prove his point he posted a picture of the unfortunate bird to 227,000 Twitter followers.

He wrote: “RIP my lovely barn owl. Flew threw [sic] the bathroom window and crashed into mirror. Now in the freezer whilst I consider taxidermy. Sad.”

A representative for the host confirmed to The Sun Online the story was "very true".

Hewer, who lives in Northamptonshire, got some quizzical responses to his social media post.

Sian Jones wrote: "Why keep a bird in your freezer. Are you tripping on LSD or something? It's through not threw by the way."

Others, like Sorrel Ayla Kinton, backed his plan to get the bird stuffed, saying: "Do it! Taxidermy is awesome."

One joker wrote: "A beautiful bird, on reflection."

Hewer worked as a PR consultant before coming the public's attention as one of the advisers to Sugar on the BBC1 reality show The Apprentice from 2005.

He went on to appear on ten series of the show.

In January 2012 he took over from Jeff Stelling as the presenter of the Channel 4 gameshow Countdown.

Hewer has also appeared on a number of TV panel shows like Room 101, Would I Lie To You? and Have I Got News For You.