COPS have enraged the locals of a posh Surrey village after telling them to feel empathy for the 200 travellers who invaded their area and caused mayhem.

Residents in Thames Ditton were left fuming after the mob arrived after getting the boot from Cobham, just six miles away, earlier this week.

And while councillors arrange to serve the travellers with an order to get them to move on, Surrey Police have irked the fed-up locals.

On Twitter the Elmbridge Police twitter account wrote: "Imagine how upsetting it would be, being uprooted every few days."

Police added: "This is not to say that we won't deal with criminality associated with encampments, of course we will.

"But we must ensure that we balance immediate action and due diligence in terms of a full scale eviction if the proportionality is there."

However Surrey residents, who had endured criminal damage and shoplifting as a result of the invasion, were not in a compassionate mood.

Villagers say the group are the using the woods as a toilet and blaring out music until 2am.

One wrote: "I'm shocked by this statement @ElmbridgeBeat. If I was to ride a quad on our local rec, defecate in the kids sandpit, break a barrier and other communal equipment, threaten members of the community, etc...

"I would be arrested and charged!"

Another said: "I'm sorry did I just read that right!

"Yes must be massive upsetting being moved on to pillage another local community while leaving a huge clean up operation & associated costs for the previous location. It's a lifestyle they choose but we get the hassle, ASB and the bill."

An Elmbridge Borough Council spokesman said: "In most instances, the issues arising from the encampment for the community are minimal Surrey Police have been made aware of the encampment and will be monitoring regularly.

"Following a report of an unauthorised encampment at Lower Green Recreation Ground, the Council's Gypsy, Roma Traveller Liaison Officer will shortly be carrying out an assessment required under the legal protocol for dealing with unauthorised encampments."