Cardinal George Pell has emerged from Victoria’s County Court to a frenzied melee of armed police, news cameras, international journalists and enraged survivors.

Tuesday is his last day of freedom, on bail, before being taken into custody ahead of sentencing for raping a choirboy and molesting another in the 1990s.

Pell, 77, walking taller after a recent double-knee replacement, strode confidently past the hordes to a waiting gold Mercedes before being whisked away to potentially his last night of freedom.

He maintains his innocence and has lodged an appeal against the convictions.

“You’re a disgrace,” one man yelled at Pell, who was flanked by a solicitor for the walk to his car.

“You’re going to burn in hell. Burn in hell, Pell,” another man yelled.

A look ahead at George Pell's court case following his recent conviction.

Pell has been dressed in civilian clothes with a beige jacket, black pants and his clerical collar, throughout the court proceedings.

Police were out in force on Tuesday to maintain order outside court. It is believed that a journalist was hit amid the chaos.

Michael, a child sexual abuse survivor advocate, told a crowd of journalists outside court that it was time to see Pell in jail.

“We want to see him fry in hell forever. He is solely responsible, in Victoria, for the pedophile damage that has been done and damaged thousands and thousands and thousands of people throughout Victoria,” he said.

“I’m a Catholic. I’m ashamed to be a Catholic. I’m disgraced to be a Catholic today. I have not left the church but I want to see Pell excommunicated.”

Michael added the Catholic Church needed to compensate victims and “put up and shut up”.

A statement from the church noted that news of the conviction had shocked Catholics around the world.