A CANCER-stricken mum who turned down chemotherapy to save her unborn baby’s life has died aged just 29.

Gemma Nuttall, from Rossendale, Lancashire, sadly lost her five-year battle with ovarian cancer on Sunday.

Kate Winslet had stepped in to help the mum-of-one raise the funds she needed for immunotherapy and initially the treatment had been a success.

But the cancer returned and the dental nurse, who leaves behind four-year-old daughter Penelope, was moved to Pendleside Hospice in Burnley earlier in October, where she passed away.

Winslet, whose own mother was going through cancer treatment at the same time, said it was “tragically sad” and sent her love to Gemma’s family.

She told MailOnline: “Gemma was such a beacon of strength and fought this battle so incredibly hard, with grace and dignity throughout.

‘It was a privilege for me to be let into her life for a brief time and to try and help.”

The Titanic star added: “My heart breaks for her mum Helen and her daughter Penelope. They have lost a wonderful mother and daughter.”

Gemma’s mother, Helen Sproates, confirmed her daughter’s death in a post on Facebook and said her “world will never be the same again”.

Ms Nuttall’s mother, Ms Sproates, said: “It is with an utterly broken heart that I have to tell you all that my beautiful warrior lost her battle early this morning.

“We fought so hard but we just couldn’t do it anymore – I am one very proud but devastated mum right now.

“Sleep tight Gemma – My world will never be the same again.”

She also wrote: “She was always putting others before herself. She was a kind and thoughtful daughter with a caring nature.
“Most of all she loved her special little Penelope and was a fantastic mummy. Penelope has been her rock and her reason to keep going as long as she did.
“It is heartbreaking to know Penelope is now having to grow up without her mummy’s love.”
Gemma first learned she had aggressive ovarian cancer at her 16-week scan and was offered a termination so she could start life-saving treatment.

But she chose to delay any treatment until after the birth of her daughter Penelope and after the birth doctors were able to remove the ovarian tumour.

After initially beating the illness, Gemma said she enjoyed getting in to a routine and got a job as a trainee manager at her mum’s soft play business, Funtazia in Blackburn.

But sadly, a year later, her cancer returned and after rounds of chemotherapy and radiotherapy, doctors said little could be done to save her.

Gemma’s mum Helen had read about immunotherapy, which boosts the body’s natural defences, available at the Hallwang Clinic in Germany.

The 56-year-old sold her house and started a fundraising page to raise further donations to cover the cost of the huge cost of the therapy.

Gemma flew to Germany last May and began a six-session course, which costs up to £70,000 a time, but only had enough funds for the first round.

In July, Helen received an email from Kate Winslet’s PA saying she wanted to offer her support and had contacted her Titanic co-star Leonardo Di Caprio for help.

The pair auctioned themselves off for three dates at DiCaprio’s annual fundraising event and raised $1.35 million (£955,000), which they were able to also give to other charities.

Gemma got the all-clear at the start of this year and in February appeared on This Morning to revisit the amazing moment the 42-year-old actress offered to help pay for her treatment.

Hosts Holly Willoughby and Philip Schofield then surprised the brave mum as they revealed the Hollywood star was on the other end of the phone.

Winslet said: “I lost my own mother last year in May to ovarian cancer and we as a family were given a very poor prognosis for my mum.

“After a four year battle… we decided to look elsewhere and we also stumbled across those places in Germany.

“Simultaneously I came across [Gemma’s] petition campaigning to have immunotherapy made available on the NHS and my heart sunk as at that point.

“I thought ‘this poor young woman is probably years away from her being able to access that kind of treatment on the national health service’.

“I found her Go Fund Me page and I saw how much she needed to raise and at that point there was only £9,000 in the fund and I just thought ‘I cannot have this happen’.

“My own mother was very, very, very unwell and I just though my mum would be very grateful if I could do this for someone else, another young mum.

“I phoned Leo and I said ‘do you think that we could do a charity dinner or something’ and he said ‘let’s go one better, come with me to Saint Tropez to my benefit fundraiser and we will auction off a dinner with Jack and Rose’.”

Gemma had viewers in tears as she told the actress: “Thank you so much for all your hard work and me being able to have my treatment that I really did need. You saved my life.”

Gemma’s funeral is due to take place at the end of the month.