The $2.4 billion Royal Adelaide Hospital has broken two records – most people admitted, and most people discharged.

The demand on the flagship 800-bed hospital hit a peak of 1537 people presenting to the Emergency Department in the final week of November – the demand came despite the flu season subsiding.

A record 732 of these people were admitted after being seen.

However, the chronic bed access block which has clogged the ED appears to abating – a record 706 people were discharged in the same week as officials moved to free up beds by moving on patients who were clinically ready to leave.

Hospital officials also moved on a record 116 referrals to the Metropolitan Referral Unit in the same week to ease the strain.

This unit provides short term support for people at immediate risk of a public hospital presentation, using nurses and allied health workers.

Central Adelaide Local Health Network chief executive Lesley Dwyer commended staff for keeping patients flowing through the hospital in a busy week.

It's a state-of-the-art, hi-tech hospital that will serve future generations of South Australians. The new Royal Adelaide Hospital is now open.
AdelaideNow

“The fact that our clinical staff were able to manage such a high influx of patients is a sign that we have the right people here at CALHN, committed to delivering great patient care,” she said.

“In my first weeks as CEO I have witnessed this commitment from many of our staff and, while there is plenty more hard work ahead, I want to acknowledge this achievement as a job well done.”

Demand on the hospital remains high and moving patients through remains a challenge – at 9am on Tuesday the ED was clogged with 42 patients who had been treated and were waiting to be admitted or moved elsewhere, including six waiting more than 24 hours and 11 waiting 12-24 hours.