FIND out how a mother who suffered with postnatal depression became a social media influence, a woman who feared water swam thousands of miles around the country and how budding entrepreneur turned her Dragons' Den embarrassment into a business success.

'I felt useless as a wife and mother'
Laura Belbin, 34, an administrator, lives in Gosport, Hampshire, with her husband Steve, 36, and their sons Elliott, seven, and Toby, three.

“I hadn’t showered for days. Too anxious to eat, too manic to sleep, I scrolled through Facebook while my baby and pre-schooler napped, then burst into tears looking at everyone else’s seemingly perfect lives.

"I met my husband Steve when I was 17 and we married in June 2009.

"When we had our first child Elliott in 2011, I suffered from mild postnatal depression, but it soon passed, and I adored being his mum.

"However, when Toby arrived in August 2015 after a difficult 36-hour labour, he suffered from colic and screamed constantly.

"It left me exhausted, especially with a four year old to care for, too.

"I didn’t tidy up, barely cooked, and by the time Steve came home from his job at a bank I’d often burst into tears.

"I felt so overwhelmed and would tearfully apologise for not being a good enough wife or mother.

"Steve always assured me it would all be OK, but it didn’t stop me from feeling like I was letting him and the boys down.

"Engulfed by hopelessness, I’d scroll through social media and feel so inadequate.

"Other people’s kids smiled for the camera while mine threw tantrums.

"Their homes looked immaculate, mine was a mess. When I’d see celebs boasting that they were #blessed with their picture-perfect lives, I wanted to scream.

"It took 11 weeks for a GP to diagnose postnatal depression.

"I was given sleeping tablets, antidepressants and anti-anxiety medication, and by February the following year the fog was clearing.

I’m not sure if I can be called an influencer, but if I can influence people to be braver, stronger and happier, then I’d call my life fails a resounding success

"I knew what it was like to feel like a failure of a wife, mother and woman, comparing my messy life to celebrity perfection, so one day, as I looked at a picture of Kendall Jenner lying on the floor with her hair in perfect heart-shaped curls, I decided to post a picture on Facebook mimicking it.

"Except in my photo, I had bed-head hair splayed into three messy chunks and no make-up.

"My caption said: ‘I woke up like this.’ Seeing comments from friends telling me I’d nailed it really made me smile.

"After I’d posted a few more ‘perception vs reality’ photos copying Insta stars, and funny updates about my crappy days, friends implored me to start a blog.

"Steve came up with the name Knee Deep In Life – a perfect description of our chaos – and I launched it in October 2016.

"Around 50 friends and family enthusiastically followed me, and I thought it would be amazing if I ever hit 100 followers.

"Not once did I worry about putting myself out there, as I wanted to speak to other mums who felt like failures, too.

"Each week I gained at least 20 new followers, who loved my honest take on motherhood.

"When Mila Kunis posted that she didn’t think her children or husband were annoying, I wrote a counter piece about how my kids are little tykes and my husband can be an ass.

"Some trolls told me they felt sorry for my children, but they’re loved and safe, so who cares what strangers think? I’ve also had someone tell me I belonged on Jeremy Kyle, but comments like that just spur me on.

"By the start of 2018 I had over 3,000 followers who loved that I discussed vaginas and proudly displayed my post-baby body.

"When I found a lump in my breast in May, I wrote about it.

"Thankfully, it was nothing to worry about, but it became my most successful post to date, with 1,000 shares.

"Then, just a couple of months ago, I filmed myself getting stuck in Spanx, which ended up getting 50 million hits and catapulted my blog into the mainstream.

"I now have 150,000 followers and get recognised in the street, which is strange but lovely.

"I still work part-time, although I have been offered ways to monetise the blog.

"I politely decline products to flog – it wouldn’t feel right unless it fitted with who I am.

"The only reason I’d give it up is if my kids asked me to, or if they got bullied because of it.

"It’s also turned out to be the best therapy, and I’ve been off medication since June 2017.

"But if I ever need it again in the future, I won’t be ashamed.

"I’m not sure if I can be called an influencer, but if I can influence people to be braver, stronger and happier, then I’d call my life fails a resounding success.”

'Phobias ruined my life'
Paula McGuire, 37, is a writer and public speaker who lives in Riddrie, Glasgow, with her husband Gerry, 36.

“Plunging into the sea, I seized up. My mind screamed at me to get out, but failure was not an option.
"Aged 18 months, I’d scalded myself with boiling water, resulting in a chronic fear of water, which led to a fear of life in general. Faced with new situations, I’d hyperventilate and cry, and I developed a nervous twitch.

"I met Gerry while working for a charity when I was 27, and we married a year later in September 2009.

"We had no speeches, first dance or cake cutting as I couldn’t cope with the idea of messing up those traditions.

"On my 30th birthday, Gerry took a picture of me reading a book, and that’s when I realised how sheltered my life was – most people would have had a party.

"I knew I had to address the psychological barriers preventing me from really living.

"Water was my biggest phobia, so in June 2013 I had counselling and hired a swimming teacher. It was slow and painful, but after a few months I mastered it and felt brilliant.

"After that my confidence soared, and in April 2017 I decided to swim 1,800 miles around Britain to raise awareness of mental health issues.

"Friends and family were supportive, but some told me I’d fail. I tried to ignore them and focused on training.

"On April 23, Gerry, my support team and I headed to Gosport, and I stepped on to the boat we’d bought on eBay that would accompany me.

"During our 18-hour sail to the start line, we were struck by three thunderstorms.

"I huddled in my cabin, petrified as all my anxieties came flooding back.

"The next day, I swam the length of Gyllyngvase Beach in Falmouth. I was in great physical shape, but I’d trained in lochs and a pool so had never swum in wind and tides.

For me, 2019 is the Year of Fears. I’m going to overcome a load of them, such as enclosed spaces and public speaking. I might fail again, but it won’t stop me trying

"By the end, I was a mess. Determined not to give up, I started my next five-mile swim around a headland, but I had a panic attack and my team hauled me out.

"Gerry gently told me I could stop, but we’d borrowed £14,000 to buy the boat and our van, and I’d announced the challenge to the world.

"I endured four more traumatic swims before I had to call it off for the sake of my mental health.

"Part of me felt relieved, but I still worried about the backlash.

"When I put a video online explaining that I’d quit, some strangers said: ‘I told you so,’ but a lot more told me how brave I was.

"Although failing had dented my confidence, no one deserted me.

"In fact, nothing bad happened at all, and that’s when I realised failure had lost its power over me.

"For me, 2019 is the Year of Fears. I’m going to overcome a load of them, such as enclosed spaces and public speaking. I might fail again, but it won’t stop me trying.”

‘I was humiliated on Dragons’ Den’
Nikki Frith, 39, lives in Ramsbottom, Greater Manchester, with husband James, 41, and their children Jemima, nine, Henry, seven, Lizzie, three, and Bobby, 15 months.

“Stumbling out of a disastrous appearance on Dragons’ Den, I felt blindsided. All five dragons had declined to invest in the business I’d set up with a friend, and it felt like they’d thrown all our efforts in the bin.

"I started making marmalade after my mum Liz passed away from lung cancer in 2011.

"I wanted to do something productive to process my grief, and my husband’s grandmother Marjorie, now 92, was famed for her marmalade, so I asked if she’d teach me her recipe.

"Making it was really cathartic, and after two weeks I’d made so much I wondered if it might be good enough to sell.

"I spent £150 on a mixer, jars, ingredients and labels, and in October 2012 felt confident enough to set up a stall at the local farmers’ market.

"I called it Granny Marmalade and sold 43 jars, making almost all my investment back.

"As a jobbing actress, it made me realise I should try my hand at turning it into a business.

"I asked my friend Lindsey, 41, if she’d like to join me.

"She worked as a swimming teacher, but she jumped at the chance, and every day we handed out samples to local delis and farm shops. Within six months we were stocked in 80 stores.

"When the local paper ran a story about our achievement, we got a call from a Dragons’ Den researcher, who said we were the ideal candidates.

"Filming took place in May 2014, and giddy anticipation turned to nerves as soon as the lift doors opened.

"I tried to keep it together as I gave our pitch, but Piers Linney slammed our branding, saying our contemporary design didn’t work with the quaint image of a granny’s kitchen, and Peter Jones said it would never be a national brand.

"All five dragons declared themselves out, and we walked off, shocked and bewildered.

"A few days after, a friend suggested changing our name to Granny Cool, as it fitted our design better.

"It seemed perfect, and four months later we relaunched at a trade show in London, picking up two international stockists.

"Watching our episode on TV in February 2015, I tried not to think about the nation seeing our rejection, but in the days that followed, all our stockists reported that they’d sold more than ever.

"Then, in June 2016, we landed a deal with Sainsbury’s that’s seen Granny Cool stocked in all their stores – not bad for a business that Peter declared would always be regional!

"While I’ll always be gutted we failed on Dragons’ Den, if it wasn’t for the show, we wouldn’t have become Granny Cool.

"Our business has grown slowly because we juggle it around motherhood, but three years later, the fact that we made it without the dragons’ help makes me all the more proud.”