BRITS will need to apply for a Green Card to prove their car is insured when driving in Europe should there be a no-deal Brexit.

The government has warned that a car cover certificate must be shown or drivers could face a driving ban in the EU country and fine.

In its ongoing guidance for a no-deal Brexit, the Department of Transport stated that British drivers will be stopped and checked for car cover when entering the EU, EEA, Andorra, Serbia and Switzerland.

Currently, Brits automatically receive basic third-party insurance in EU countries with their UK policy.

This inclusion will stop in a hard or no-deal Brexit, leaving motorists paying extra for a so-called Green Card - an insurance certificate used prior to joining the Common Market.

However, this may only be a small production and handling fee as cover providers currently issue the cards for free.

EU residents will also face the same situation when driving in the UK, although no detail has yet been released regarding how Green Cards will be checked here.

Janet Connor, the AA’s director of insurance, said in response: “Seven million drivers go into Europe for business or pleasure every year.

"The need for an insurance Green Card, which at present is free of charge, could bring a greater administrative burden and costs on insurers.

"The Government has made it clear that they will not check items at the border, so it needs to declare who will check them and where.

"This is on top of the potential need for an International Driving Permit (IDP) of which there are two types in different European countries.

"This extra administration is an inconvenience for drivers, but for industry and particularly small businesses, it potentially adds a further layer of bureaucratic difficulty to cross-border trading.

"From what was an easy and simple process of driving on to the continent, driving your own car in Europe could become a real pain."