BRITS visiting Dubai have been warned they could be jailed if they drink booze on the flight.

It comes after a British mum-of-three was locked up with her four-year-old daughter after having a single glass of wine on an Emirates flight from Gatwick.

Dr Ellie Holman, 44, says she was "spat on" and feared she would be raped before she was allowed home to her family in Sevenoaks, Kent.

Less than a month later, officials in the United Arab Emirates have warned a tipple en route to the Middle East could land you in jail.

The British Embassy in the UAE posted the message about drinking in the federation on its Facebook page.

It said: "If caught carrying or drinking alcohol without a licence or with alcohol in your blood, you can be arrested.

"It is a punishable offence to be under the influence of alcohol in public - including when transiting through the UAE.

"It can result in custodial sentences and/or a fine."

The post appeared to be part of a series on the "UK in UAE" page about consular matters.

The post adds: "There is zero tolerance for drink driving in the UAE.

"Only non-Muslims can obtain a licence. Tourists are unable to get a licence."

Alcohol licences are required for residents while tourists are restricted to consuming alcohol in a hotel or a licensed premises.

Last week Ellie told Mail Online: "The last four weeks have been hell for me and my family. I left to go on a holiday with my youngest daughter to a country I loved visiting and ended up in jail.

"Nothing had prepared me for what happened, but my survival instinct kicked in and for my daughter's sake I had to be strong.

"It is like an out-of-body experience. I still can't believe that I spent three days in jail.

"I have never been in trouble in my life and yet here I was sharing a cell block with 30 other women. It is unreal. I feel like I will wake up from a bad nightmare."

After landing back in the UK she was seen kissing her youngest child Bibi who was with her on July 13 when she was arrested shortly after landing in Dubai International Airport.

The dentist was detained with her daughter, four, after getting into a dispute with staff over her visa - then quizzed over a free drink she was given on the plane.

She claimed she was dumped in the jail because consuming alcohol in the strict Arab state is illegal.

While at the jail, she said feared she would be raped after listening to fellow inmates' stories of how guards abused prisoners.

But officials said she was detained after she began filming the heated discussion with an immigration official on her phone.

Speaking today, Dr Holman has accused the government of "lying to save face", adding: "I accept my big mistake was to film the immigration officer. I now realise that was stupid and I should not have done that.

"But did that really warrant being jailed for three days with my daughter, being spat at and having my hair pulled?"

Dr Holman, originally from Sweden, said she then asked whether she had been drinking and she said she had a free glass of wine given to her by Emirates staff.

The official informed Dr Holman that possession of alcohol is a crime in the UAE, even if it is inside a person’s body, and she was arrested and led away to the cells.

Dr Holman says had a "single glass of red wine", which was handed to her by cabin crew with her in-flight meal.