A BRITISH Airways customer is suing the airline after claiming he suffered back injuries from being wedged next to an obese passenger on a 13-hour flight.

Stephen Prosser said he was crushed against the side of the plane after being seated next to the "6ft 5in elk, weighing about 23-stone" passenger.

The 51-year-old has since claimed he suffered nerve damage to his back, with his pelvis also knocked out of alignment after the long-haul flight from Bangkok to London Heathrow.

Speaking to the Mail Online, the freelance civil engineer said: "I felt discomfort as soon as he sat down because I was pinned against the side of the cabin."

Mr Prosser said he flagged his concerns with cabin crew, but was told he had to make a formal complaint.

He added: "I had no choice but to go back to my seat and the discomfort at being squashed up against the cabin soon turned to agony."

British Airways has since rejected Mr Prosser's claim.

But the experienced traveller said his fellow passenger also appeared to be in pain after being seated in the middle seat during the flight two years ago.

He said: "I think it's up to the staff to take control of a situation like that and they should have asked the passenger on the aisle seat to swap with the larger man in the middle."

The company director, from Tonypandy in South Wales, is now seeking damages and the loss of earnings he claims he experienced after being unable to work for three months.

He has claimed a chiropractor told him his pelvis was seven degrees out of alignment.

A British Airways spokesperson told The Sun Online: "​British Airways is resisting the claim.

"However, as the case is subject to ongoing proceedings, it would be inappropriate for us to comment."

The case is expected to be heard at the Pontypridd County Court on Friday.