THE transgender dad of a five-year-old girl who was born a boy says they have been targeted by cruel internet trolled.

Greg Rogers says that daughter Jayden, who was born male, has been accepted by friends and teachers as fashion-loving little girl - but slammed online.

Greg, 27, told the Daily Record: “We’ve had people saying we’re using Jayden for attention and that she just wants to be a girl because I changed sex.

“It’s ridiculous. Jayden knows nothing about my past. She just knows me as dad.”

He added: “They say it’s cruel we let her wear a dress but is it not more cruel to do nothing when you’ve got a kid who’s so adamant she’s a girl she’s ripping her hair off and banging her head off the walls?”

Partner Jody, 21, said: “Social workers can also see Jayden is well looked after and have no concerns. All we want is Jayden to be happy and proud of who she is, whatever that might be.”

Yesterday, doting dad Greg told the Mail On Sunday: "We haven’t encouraged Jayden to do this, despite what people think, and we are hurt at the suggestion."

Jayden began living as a girl nearly a year ago and started wearing dresses and insisting on having her nails painted and growing long hair.

She was born with partial deafness - meaning Jayden struggled to communicate her feelings.

But after an op to correct her hearing 11 months ago Jayden immediately told how she wished she was a girl.

Greg, who has been a father to Jayden for three years since meeting heterosexual student Jody, said her first words since developing her speech were a plea to live as a female.

He said: "She developed speech and immediately started saying, 'I hate wearing boys’ clothes and everything about being a boy'.

"At first, we thought it was probably just a phase but it’s been consistent ever since.

"She is adamant she’s a girl."

But now the couple - who are not married but share the same surname - have been forced to protect her from cruel taunts online.

And worse still, some locals in their small town have suggested they move away after they were reported to the council - who found the Rogers to be a happy and loving family.

Greg suffered abuse and his family's disapproval after changing gender at the age of 16.

He had his breasts removed but is yet to undergo reassignment surgery on his genitals.

But insisting that he had no part in encouraging Jayden to live as a girl, Greg added: "She has no idea that I’m transgender.

"Having been through this myself, I have conflicting emotions about her deciding she doesn’t want to be a boy any more.

"It’s not an easy life. People will always judge you and I don’t think there is a single transgender person on the planet who would push that on a child."

Mum Jody, who was initially sceptical about Jayden's decision, added: "I was naive.

"I didn’t think a child could be transgender and it isn’t until now, after speaking to other parents in our situation, that we realise it is more common than everyone thinks."

Jayden is now on the waiting list for the Sandyford Clinic in Glasgow which offers a Young People’s Gender Service.

She is to receive counselling over the next few years as she is too young for medication or hormone treatment.