A BRIT teacher has been killed and his daughter seriously injured after they were run over on a zebra crossing by a disabled driver.

Cristopher Humphris, 72, and his daughter Susanna Andrei, 52, were hit by the high performance SUV and sent flying 150ft in front of horrified onlookers.

Mr Humphris was killed instantly and mum of one Susanna was taken to hospital by paramedics suffering from severe injuries and was last night fighting for her life.

A witness said: ''The man was obviously dead and the woman kept moaning and saying she had to get home to her son but I told her not to move as she was seriously hurt.''

He was the director of a well established English language school in Rome, Italy, where his daughter was also a teacher.

Mr Humphris was originally from Beckenham in Kent and had lived abroad for several years but still has family in Britain.

Yesterday police were questions the 50 year old disabled driver of the car after it emerged he had been driving down a bus lane when he struck the couple by the famous Hand of Truth landmark in Rome.

Pictures from the scene showed personal belongings scattered across the road as cops examined the smashed front end of the black Jeep.

The pair are thought to have been leaving a local farmers market and were on their way home when they were hit. The driver told police:''I didn't see them. They stepped out of no where straight in front of me.''

It came just 24 hours after the deputy police chief of the city was killed in by a bus while on a zebra crossing. So far this year 34 pedestrians have been killed in Rome in traffic accidents.